Ch. 12 The Story Behind The Jacket

Your POV

I begin to tell Lucinda the story behind the reason why my jacket means so much to me. I start off saying, "About 7 years ago...."

Flashback

I was living in a house located just outside of the city of Falcon Claw. A friend of mine had moved in with me temporarily to save money. His name was Greg Moore. Greg was truly magnificent at sewing and stitching together different fabrics into really nice and amazing pieces of clothing. He had been working at a convenience store to try to get enough money to open up his own tailor shop in Falcon Claw. One day, he showed me his latest piece that he had made. It was a light blue zip-up hoodie with white drawstrings and it had red trim on the end of each sleeve. I tried it on and it was a perfect fit. It was a really comfortable jacket. I thought it would be a great piece for him to use to go public once he got enough money.

But that night, I was driving home from the bar. I got home safe and sound because I was still sober. But it was late and I was tired. I was so tired that I didn't realize that I accidentally bumped the knob on the stovetop when I walked by it and had turned it on. There had been some paperwork of mine on the stovetop, right on top of the burner. The papers caught on fire. By the time I noticed that the house was on fire, the fire had already spread throughout half of the house.

(End of Flashback)

I break out into tears, but I continue, "Greg's room was right above the kitchen. So his room had been the first to burn. Greg didn't make it, nor did any of his magnificent work. It had all burned, along with all of my belongings. All of it, except for the jacket because I had still been wearing it when I got out of the house. That's why the jacket is so important to me. It was all I had left to remember Greg. I wear it as a reminder that I was the reason he died."

At this point, I'm just balling my eyes out. "It was all my fault." Lucinda hugs me, which kinda calms me down a bit. Then she says, "It's not all your fault, like you said, it was late and you were tired. Have you ever told anyone else about what happened?" I answer her, still sobbing, "No, you're the first person that I've told this to." She hugs me tighter. "It's good that you took this off your chest. I'm glad you told me. I promise not to tell anyone. But, in my opinion," she says, "I think that Aphmau deserves to know as well, especially if you want her to trust you more."

The next chapter might have a lemon in it. But the lemon might have a twist.
Master out.