thirty-eight; new years

11:05 p.m

MIN-SOO TIPPED HER GLASS BACK AS SHE DOWNS THE SHOT. SHE WINCES AS THE DRINK STINGS HER THROAT, BUT WELCOMES THE FUZZINESS THAT COMES WITH IT. sure she was on a first date, but in the current situation it was acceptable. she swiveled in the barstool as her name was called.

" babe, let's dance!" comes a low voice from next to her.

right. she wasn't sure why emma thought it was a good idea to set up blind dates on new year's eve.

-

"so we won't be the only ones to not get kissed at midnight," her friend claimed. " jackson found these guys for us-- so it'll be fine," she had also claimed next.

-

definitely killing jackson after this

min-soo fake smiled to the guy clinging to her side. " we danced for an hour straight earlier, babe. why don't we take a break?"

she glances over at emma, who's casually talking to her date for the night. lucky for her, he seemed like a laid-back person who wasn't forcing her to dance.

the guy pulls at her waist; the silver dress coming up a bit. min-soo wanted to tell the guy off but didn't quite remeber his name. she was pretty sure it was mike, or mason or something.

" come on, just ten more minutes. it's my favorite song!" the male insisted, his words slurred.

min-soo looked back at the bartender and held up one finger, signaling one more shot. he winked once he understood; wasting no time as he pours the drink. min-soo watched as the young man's arms flexed underneath his tight uniform, which was simply a white button up and black vest. he slides the finished product towards the girl.

" i mixed in a little something for you, just so you know," the bartender says, his smile showing off his pearly whites even in the dim lighting of the club.

min-soo raises the glass, returns the smile, and downs it all in one go. she tastes something fruity and finds herself enjoying it.

" you have to tell me what drink that is, so i can order it next time."

" why don't i make you another one while you dance with.."

the male trailed off as he gestured towards the guy that min-soo forgets is hanging off her side. she nods then squints her eyes.

" alrighty then... jun-- it's a deal"

both hold eye contact for a few seconds as the guy-- ken, mac, or whoever-- pulls her towards the dance floor which is full of other sweaty dancing people.

11:45 p.m

apparently ten minutes had turned into half an hour. min-soo slumps into the same stool she was on previously, as max-- actually, was it brian? -- drags his own stool next to hers. he's saying something, but min-soo doesn't catch it, eyes unfocused towards the front. i'm not drunk enough for this, she thinks.

the sound of glass scraping against the wooden surface of the table caught her attention, and she turns her head where a full shot glass was placed. she looks up and realizes it's jun.

" told ya i'd make you another drink," he says with a smirk.

" so, do you always give out free drinks or just to the girl's you flirt with?"

jun chuckled at min-soo's response; his eyes wandering over to the arm that snaked its way around the girl's exposed shoulders. min-soo looks to see brian is still talking-- is he actually talking to me? she can't tell, but just smiles and nonchalantly pushes his arm away. it should be quite obvious that she isn't interested.

the girl finished the rest of the drink and turned towards brad, ready to tell him off as politely as possible; to her fortune the drunken male had staggered off-- possible mentioning something about the restroom. min-soo used the moment to get some air.

the girl made her way through the sweaty crowd, a hand finding its way around her wrist. just as min-soo was about to exclaim, she recognized the blonde hair belonging to a certain mochi; her figure noticeable relaxing. min saw the small beads of sweat along the boy's forehead, making the feeling of her own body needing to be outside. pulling the older male's head down, she spoke in his ear. he nodded and guided her to a nearby unoccupied balcony-- well nearly empty. the slightly tipsy girl noticed a figure slumped over the rail, gazing out into the starfilled night sky. min-soo walked up to the figure and smacked the back of their head.

" yah! what was that for?"

" for setting me up on the horribly date! i've been babysitting the guy all night and i don't even remember his name!--"

min-soo's rant was interrupted by jackson doubling over, his laughs coming out in short streaks as he tried catching his breath; the girl rolled her eyes before laughing at herself.

11:59 p.m

everyone clambered together, the voices hushing as they watched the large tv screen showing a countdown.

" 10,"

" 9,"

" 8,"

min-soo slowly inched away from john.

" 6,"

" 5,"

" 4,"

" 3,"

" 2,"

the lights go out completely. min-soo squinted at her surroundings, only able to make out shapes around her.

" happy new year everyone!"

min-soo is sure she's well away from her date, but is suddenly pulled into someone's embrace, before feeling a pair of lips on her own.

this person seems tall, min-soo notes as her head is tilted up gently by a pair of soft hands. she doesn't mind the kiss, if she's honest. she moves her own lips with the other's. it's a simple kiss-- no aggression or tongue or whatsoever, and min-soo likes it.

soon, the kiss ends and they pull away. it's still dark, and min-soo can barely see the silhouette of the other. when the lights return and the music starts playing again, min-soo doesn't see the person-- instead she receives a text.

jackson
happy new year ;) btw that guy's name was zach