two; butterfly

THE MAJOR PART OF THE TRAVELING WAS DONE, AS THE TWENTY-EIGHT HOUR FLIGHT LANDED. A GROUCHY MIN-SOO RETRIEVED HER SUNGLASSES AS SHE LAZILY GATHERED HER CARRY ON AND EXITED THE PLANE. the atmosphere of the airport was humid, contributing a lot to the tired girl's discomfort. luckily, she spotted a familiar dark-haired girl jumping up and down. after retrieving her larger bags she sped over to emma, the taller girl brought her into a hug. the pair stood there for a few moments before emma led the way towards the parking lot.

" i can't believe you're actually here! in person! yahhh, naneun ulge doel geos gat-a (i think i'm going to cry)"

" nononono. no crying. i barely got any sleep because a baby decided to scream bloody murder for hou--."

min-soo's yawning interrupted her own sentence. exhaustion displayed itself on her face as she rubbed at her eyes, struggling to keep them open. emma unlocked the car door, letting min-soo enter while she placed her bags into the trunk. the car was filled with low music and min-soo's quiet snores occurring now and then. just as they started on the highway, the sleepy girl mumbled.

" just because i'm tired doesn't mean i forgot about your promise to buy me food--"

emma laughed to herself at her friend's comment. she looked over at the girl, a warm smile showing. the two had becoming penpals at ages thirteen and fifteen, teaching one another the other's language and from there, their friendship had continued and blossomed into something great. six years later and the girls are living in the same country, the friendship as strong as ever.

min-soo's point of view:

there i was, atop a horse gazing off into the sunset on a beach. the serene scene was a dream come true just as a shirtless group of well built and good looking men gave me an endless supply of ice cream and money. just then a bird perched on the edge of the throne and called my name repetitively.

i opened one eye and was greeted by the sound of emma whisper yelling my name while she shook my arm. definitely wasn't as enjoyable as the dream. i whined and she cooed at how cute i was being, squishing my cheeks during the process. i slapped away her hands and followed after the raven-haired girl, having to slightly pick up the pace since her stride is much longer than mine. she led me into a series of apartments and stopped in front of '305'. stepping into the apartment, i took in the nicely decorated area while emma disappeared into the kitchen.

" i put your bags in the guest room. by the way, it's the one at the end of the hall."

i looked back at emma, who was going through the fridge, and walked up behind her and pulled her into another hug. mumbling a muffled 'thank you' into her back, i let go and rushed to my new room. the walls were white, plants scattered around the space leaving a queen sized bed in the middle and a desk off to the side. placing my backpack on the desk, i collapsed on the mattress, clutching the pillow tightly as i drifted off.

3rd person point of view:

" hey, wake up you lazy bum."

" what do you want, unnie, i'm tired!"

min-soo swatted the air and turned her back to emma's voice, wanting nothing more to do except sleep. the older girl pulled the blanket away and continued to pester min-soo until the tired girl turned to face her, a smirk bringing up the corner of emma's mouth.

" oh, i guess i don't have to buy you food anymore--"

" i'm up, i'm up. just give me five minutes and i'll be ready."

the bustling commotion and large crowds weren't fazing for min-soo as she had grown up with it. the glasses wearing girl followed behind emma like a lost puppy since the older girl wanted to keep the destination a secret. the pair left the busy streets of seoul behind as they entered a cozy restaurant. the lack of light brought min-soo to assume the restaurant was closed until an elderly woman exited the back room and hobbled over to them, her eyes smiling almost as big as her mouth. the h/c haired girl started to bow, only to be stopped by the elder's outstretched hand.

" there's no need for the formalities-- makes me feel old, call me jae-eun. anyways, emma here tells me your quite the musician. please do play something for me, it gets quite boring around here-- not to mention radios are complicated."

min-soo gave a shy smile and turned her head. the dimly lit room only helped to maneuver min-soo's gaze towards the vintage mahogany piano that resided underneath a warm light in the center of room's open area. the eager girl looked to emma, seeking approval, before scurrying over to the instrument. she lightly brushed her fingers across the keys, a smile tugging at min-soo's lips as the memories of her and her grandmother sitting at the piano appeared.

the first time i heard the piece was age seven. while i was staying over at grandma's, i had a nightmare and couldn't sleep so she played it. i watched as her hands gracefully played each note, the calming melody washing over me. it was then i decided i wanted to learn and one day be as skilled as her, so every time we visited i insisted on learning piano until she agreed. around age ten was when i finally mastered the song, and the first thing i did was play it with her. the joyful look in her eyes made my heart hurt but in a good way. fast forward to now, i'm nineteen, my grandma is sick, and i moved to korea to write music. this is my first time in years playing it, and it's more-so bittersweet to hear now.

emma placed her hand on min-soo's shoulder, pulling her out of her consuming thoughts. the distant girl gave a sad smile to jae-eun, who let out a few tears as she clapped. min-soo placed the lid over the keys and turned away from the instrument, shaking off the tugging feeling in her heart.

" that was beautiful-- does that piece have a name?"

" butterfly."