|Chapter Thirty-Five ~ Learning to Transform|

That evening, Harry had asked Hermione and Ron to go with him to the library to help him decipher the mermaids' clue. Whilst they were there I received a letter from Nymph.

Hey Cous!

I heard about you being Champion, I hope that it's all going smoothly. Apparently you gave the dragon a run for its money by shooting it with fire, quite an ingenious idea. As for a spell that will allow you to breathe underwater I believe that you could try a human transfiguration spell. I would suggest a merperson; it would make you more conspicuous. The spell should be in the advanced transfiguration spell book in the library, ask the Librarian for the location of it.

Your mum and dad are coping well, I haven't told them about the tournament. I think that if they knew about it you'll be on the next train home quicker than you can say 'Quidditch'. They're happy for you and George, even though they don't know which one he is, to be honest I think only you can tell them apart.

I'm glad you had a good birthday and Christmas. Mine was somewhat uneventful; I went to visit my mum. She's doing well, still grieving after dad but that's to be expected. I've finally finished my auror training. I am now an official auror!

I will expect an update on the tournament soon, but right now I think your owl is hungry so I'll send her back to you so you can feed her, I don't have any food in at the moment.

Love Nymph x

Sure enough, as soon as I had finished reading Nymphs letter, Janah started nipping at my hand. That was her way in telling me that she wanted food. So I gave her a handful of cornflakes and left her to eat it, whilst I went to find Fred and George. I walked down to the common room to see their sofa occupied by Lee.

"Hey Lee, have you seen the twins?" I asked, sitting down next to him, checking that it wasn't rigged with some trick before I sat down.

"No I haven't, not since lunch. They went to speak to Professor McGonagall and I haven't seen them since then." Lee said, turning the page over of his copy of the daily prophet.

"Oh, okay thanks. If you see them can you tell them that I'm looking for them?" I asked, standing up and grabbing my bag.

"Yeah sure. Ari, good luck tomorrow!" He called to my back as I walked out of the portrait hole and made my down towards the library on the third floor.

"Hi, could you point me in the direction of where the advanced transfiguration spell book is please?" I asked the librarian, Irma Pince. Madame Pince was a very thin lady with a sallow face. Her pointed nose was more often than not stuck in a book, her glasses always pushed up onto the top of her head.

"Yes dear. It's the seventeenth row back on the left and the fifth section in. Shout if you get lost dear." She said, lifting her head up from her book and smiling at me.

"Thank you." I said politely, before following her instructions. I passed Neville who was reading a book on herbology and was mumbling to himself, as per usual. A few more rows down I came across Hermione, Ron and Harry. Harry banging his head on a stack of books in frustration, Hermione drilling him on tactics and Ron... well Ron wasn't really doing anything. I continued walking down the rows, suddenly I found myself face to face with Mad-Eye Moody.

"Have you seen Potter?" He asked gruffly.

"Urm, yeah, he's just down there." I said, pointing the way I had just come. I watched him hobble past me, taking a swig out of – whatever ghastly concoction was in it – his hip flask that he always kept about his person.

Finally I found the book I was looking for and spent the rest of the night drifting between sleep and studying. How on earth was I going to successfully turn myself into a mermaid tomorrow?

- - - - - - - - - - -

The next morning, Ginny and I made our way down to the lake together.

"Have you seen Fred or George at all since yesterday?" I asked as we stepped into a boat, Angelina and Alicia joining us a few minuets later. "I haven't seen them since breakfast yesterday." I said to the three girls.

"No I've not seen them either. That was the last time I saw them." Ginny said. "What about you two?" She asked the older girls.

"The same." Angelina said.

"The last I saw them was when they were going to see Professor McGonagall." Alicia said, wrapping her coat more warmly around her. We sat in silence and watched as our boat got closer and closer to the three large platforms that emerged from the dark waters for the spectators and the judges. "You'll be amazing." She said as we pulled to a stop beside the middle platform.

"Thanks." I said to her smiling slightly before getting out of the boat and stepping onto the platform. I felt queasy and the only ones that I really wanted to see were George and Fred.

"Welcome to the second task. Last night something was stolen from each of our champions. A treasure of sorts. These, eight treasures, one for each champion but two for Miss Tonks, now lie on the bottom of the black lake. In order to win each champion need only find their treasure and return to the surface. The first team to return to the surface wins. Simple enough. Except for this, they will have one hour to do so and one hour only. After that they'll be on their own. The first four champions that were called out before their teammate will go off of this side, whilst the other three will go off of the opposite side." Professor Dumbledore said through the speaker spell in order for all of the platforms to hear. All of the champions got into position and took off their warm clothing, leaving us just in our swimsuits. "You may begin at the start of the cannon." Professor Dumbledore said, before being cut off by the loud booming noise of the cannon.