50. "Curiosity Killed The Cat"

I smiled widely as I finished getting ready. I walked out of my room and into Emie's.

"Hey sweetheart, come with me to the kitchen, bring your book." I said.

"Okay mommy." She said as she grabbed her thin picture book and followed me into the kitchen.

"Sit there." I said as I pointed at our small dinning table, "read to me."

She ran over to the chair and gasped. I quickly turned around and walked over to her.

"Look mom." She whispered as she pointed out the window.

"Oh my god." I smiled. I walked over to the window and slowly opened it, "Hey Little guy." I smiled as I reached my hand towards the beautiful pitch black cat with bright yellow eyes that let out small purrs. The cat walked over to me and rubbed it's head against my hand, "youre a sweet kitty, aren't you?" I chuckled as I tickled it's small head.

I looked around and noticed all the latters that connected with one another. The best way I could describe it is, New York apartments, how everything connects on the outside.

"Who's kitty is it?" Emie asked as she hid behind me.

"I'm not sure." I said as I pulled my hand away and clicked my tongue to see if it would get its attention and come inside, "Emie grab my phone, it's on the kitchen counter." I said as I looked at her.

She ran into the kitchen and came back with my phone in her hand, "here." She said as she handed it to me.

I snapped a quick picture and sent it to Kian. It only took him a few seconds to FaceTime me. I answered.

"Was that a fucking black cat?" He asked.

"Language, Emie's here."

"Shit, my bad." He said as he burped.

I rolled my eyes as I flipped the camera and pointed it at the cat that stared back at me while blinking slowly.

"Look how beautiful it is." I smiled.

"You know what they say, black cats are bad luck." He said.

"No way this cat is bad luck, just look at it." I said in awe, "it's adorable with its big yellow eyes and soft fur." I said, "I think I'm going to go ask around to see who's cat it is."

"If you fall and break your arm, don't say I didn't tell you so." He said.

"Whatever. I'll call you later." I said as I hanged up. I set my phone aside and slowly reached out to touch it. It purred as I rubbed its scalp. It walked close enough for me to pick it up. I slowly picked it up and held the kitty in my arms, "good kitty." I said as I swayed back and forth carefully.

"I want to pet it." Emie whined.

I bent down to her level and smiled as she gave the cat small strokes along its back. The cat closed its eyes in satisfaction.

"Go on and open the door, we should get this little kitty to its owners." I said as I walked over to the door.

She opened it and then closed it after we walked out. We started off with the people on our floor and after everyone denied this kitty being theirs we went to the next floor.

Emie knocked on the door and we waited patiently, "yes?" And elder women asked.

"Hi, I live in the floor below and this little guy appeared outside, I was wondering if it's yours?" I asked politely.

"This little one is just the neighborhood cat, nobody has ever claimed it. It just roams around the outside of the building." She said.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "oh really?" I asked as I looked down at the sleeping cat in my arms, "well thank you for your help." I smiled.