41. "Welcome Doormat"

My days kind of work out perfectly. I usually end my workouts around 11:00 and Jc picks me up, we go have breakfast and then we go pick up Emie.

We were having breakfast at a small yet fancy cafe.

"What were you going to tell me yesterday?" He asked as he looked at me.

I let out a shaky breath as I smiled, "I honestly can't remember" lies, "It was probably just something silly" I smiled.

He nodded his head, "What time do you have to be at the apartment?" He asked.

"At one" I said, "are you going to come with me?" I asked,kind of hoping he would say yes.

He nodded his head, "there's nothing to do at home" he sighed, "sure, ill go with you" he said. I smiled as he agreed. We finished our meal and went to pick up Emie.

-

"This is room number one and then room number two is right here" Jerry was his name I believe, was giving the three of us an apartment tour.

I peeked inside the first room and looked around. Just like the pictures, the walls were worn out and needed serious construction.

"The three of you would move in right?" He asked.

I shook my head, "No, just my daughter and I" I said as I grabbed Emie's hand.

"Oh.. that's great. Well I'll give you time to decide" he said.

"Wait you're letting me rent this place?" I asked as I looked at him.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "why wouldn't I?" He asked.

"Um.. n-no reason. If you're letting me stay then I don't need to think about it. I'll take it. I can give you three months paid in adavance. When I can I move in?" I asked all in one breath.

His face light up, "you can start moving in tomorrow" he said.

I smiled widely as I turned to look at Jc, "where do I sign?"

He quickly shuffled through a few papers before handing me his clipboard.

"Would you like to hear more about the apartment for example-"

I quickly cut him off, "no, I'm taking it" I said as I signed the papers and quickly read through them. I was desperate for an apartment and with a little of work this place can be beautiful.

"Since you'll be moving in, I'll have a team stop by today to fix the walls" Jerry smiled.

"That is awesome" I smiled as I handed him back the clipboard, "since you're having a team stop by can you please change the wooden floors to carpet in room two, that's going to be my daughters room and I don't want her to fall off her bed and hurt herself" I explained.

He nodded his head, "Of course" he smiled, "Welcome, Ms. Phoenix" he said as he handed me the keys to the building and my new apartment.

"Thank you" I smiled as I clenched the keys.

"I'll leave you three alone to sculpt out your new home" He smiled as he left us alone.

"I can't believe this" I said as I jumped up and down excitedly.

Jc scratched the back of his neck, "I don't know bailey, it's a little worn down. A bit small, don't you think?" He asked.

"I don't need a mansion if it's only going to be Emie and I. It's not worn down, it's cozy. I'll fix this place up beautifully. Soon enough there will be an apartment tour" I said as I clapped.

"I don't like it here" Emie said as she looked up at me.

Jc looked down at her and nodded his Head, "it looks like someone died in here" jc said.

I rolled my eyes as I pulled Emie towards her room, "you'll love it here. Look, this will be your new room. What color do you want to paint it?" I asked.

"We don't need to paint this room because my room is back at Jc's house" she said as she looked around her future room and walked out while pulling me behind her.

I bit the inside of my lip as I thought about a thousand ways to tell her we're leaving them to move here.

"The neighborhood looks safe I just don't know.. it seems sketchy" Jc said as he looked out the window, "where am I suppose to be right now?" He asked as he looked around.

"You're suppose to be in the dining room" I said as I looked at the only small patch of wall that was made out of bricks.

"What the hell?" He asked as he looked at the brick wall.

"Wether you two like it or not it doesn't matter, I signed the papers, I have the keys. It's time to move in" I said excitedly as I took in the old scent of my new apartment. It'll be gone by tomorrow.

My new home.