38. "Sharp Shards"

I waved goodbye as Nina drove away. We had a great time together and everyone in the house seems to love her, I mean how could they not?

It was really late and everyone had already gone to sleep. I walked over to the couch where Emie was sleeping and sat next to her. I stroked her hair gently as I watched her sleep for a few seconds.

My phone began to ring loudly. I quickly answered before Emie could wake up, I didn't even look at the caller.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Bailey" his voice was too familiar.

I leaned back and closed my eyes, "what do you want?" I asked as I tried not to choke up.

I could hear him sigh, "I'm sorry" he apologized, "I don't like the way I left things" he said. I was speechless. I didn't want to talk to him, I'm hurt and scared.

"Why? Why did you hit me? I-I love you" I said as tears began to fall from my eyes, "and you hurt me over and over again" I cried silently.

I could hear him sniffling, "Bailey I love you more than anything else in this world and it's not my intention to hurt you, I promise" he said.

"Please don't hurt me again" I said as I put my hand up to my mouth to keep myself from letting out a sob.

"I promise I will never hurt you" he said, "I promise" 

I hanged up. It wasn't because I was mad or sad. It was mostly because I was scared. I've heard those words before, I'm afraid he won't keep his word.

I could feel the phone buzzing in my hand but I couldn't answer. I was frozen in time. Lost in my own mind. I just sat there with my sleeping child on my lap.

I don't know how long I sat there crying silently for hours. I know it was somewhere around midnight because I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Bailey?" I quickly covered my face.

"Turn off the lights" I ordered.

He turned off all the lights and slowly walked closer to me. I felt him sit next to me and touch my cheek softly.

"Why are you crying?" Jc asked as he rubbed my back and brought me in closer to his chest.

My bottom lip quivered as I closed my eyes, "Tyler" I simply said as I gave in and laid my head on his chest and wrapped my arms around him.

"Did he do something to you?!" He quickly asked.

Yes. He hits me every time we meet and it hurts.

"No" I lied as I swallowed the lump in my throat, "we just had a fight." I said as I took in his warm scent.

He let out a sigh as he rubbed my back, "it's going to be okay" he said.

"I just can't" I cried softly, "I miss my friends, and I don't know if I did the right decision by fighting to keep Emie with me" I said as I cried harder.

"You did it because you knew you could handle it" he said as he held me tightly.

I wiped the tears away from my cheeks, "but I'm going to be so busy a-and what if I don't give her the attention she needs?" I asked, "she needs so much attention b-because Cristy's gone, Alice's gone, her grandparents never approved of her existence, her father doesn't even know she exists" I said as I stained his shirt with tears.

"But you have all of us, Franny, Kian, Harrison, Bobby, Corey, Anderson, and I. We can help you" he said.

I tugged on his shirt as I blinked a few times, "Jc, I just want you to hold me" I said, "I can't do anything right, I'm spilling my heart out and crying an entire ocean while my daughter sleeps on my lap, and I'm talking about my husband to the biggest love of my life, I don't know what the hell I'm doing" I said as I let out a sigh.

"As much as you want to deny it, we both still have a very special place for each other in our hearts. That's why it's so easy to talk to each other" he said as he stroked my hair softly.

"I wasn't going to deny it" I mumbled.

I'm made out of glass. I'm fragile and one wrong move and I'll shatter. My sharp shards will draw blood and pain. I'm delicate, too much responsibility for people.

I'm scared that Cristy will realize that and take Emie away from me. I'm scared that Cristy will realize that and check me into a mental hospital. I'm scared that my parents realize that and disown me. I'm scared that Kian will realize that and stop talking to me. I'm scared that Jc will realize that and leave me.

I've pushed him away too many times. How many more until he gives up?

I'm unstable and I can't control what I do or feel. Maybe Alice is right and I do need help. Maybe I need to tell someone about Tyler and the physical pain he causes me.

I won't deny that he's still a very special someone in my life. He will always be someone to me, no matter what he does. He's too pure for me.

He's too good.