Chapter Twenty Four

"Seriously how did you do this?" Vic asked while staring at a case full of rings. She was referring to me picking out a ring for Dani. I was lucky enough that I had never paid for it though since the relationship blew up before I was ready to ask.

I shrugged and laughed, "What's wrong Vic too many choices?" We had been looking at rings for what seemed like three days but was probably more like four hours and she hadn't found one that she really liked yet.

"Shut up James, you know it has to be perfect," it's funny seeing her so worked up. "Vic you could put a band aid on her finger and she would say yes. She loves you."

She took a big sigh, "I know, I know. I just want it to be perfect."

"I know Vic, it will be," this was the fifth place we had been too. I was ready to tell her that she should just have one custom made when my phone buzzed.

A: "Please tell me where we are going tonight?"

I laughed as I read it and Vic looked over. "Ashley still bugging?" I nodded, "Of course she is."

"Babe, please just enjoy the surprise."

I put my phone back in my pocket and went back to Vic. "So what did Maddie say?" she asked as she continued to concentrate on the what seemed like endless choices in the case.

I sighed because the situation was completely frustrating, "Well she hasn't found anything that will help us yet but she put some calls into some people she knows that might be able to help so she's hoping for something soon. In the meantime we kind of just have to keep doing what we are doing, he hasn't been back around us so we can't file a complaint or anything."

Vic rolled her eyes, "So basically we have to wait until he hurts someone before they will do anything, fucking typical."

She wasn't wrong the law was stupid especially in this situation. If Ashley had reported the attack we might have some better luck but right now these were the options we had and I really hoped it wouldn't come to anything dangerous.

"What are you doing with her tonight?" I put my hand on her shoulder, "Why don't we concentrate on this ring and then we'll talk about my love life."

She sighed and kept looking, "What about the proposal? Do you know what you want to do yet?"

Vic asked the woman that was trying to help us to look at a couple rings which seemed to be progress. "Well I want it to be special, and I wanted to do something that would remind her of the start of our relationship. But reminding her of prison isn't exactly romantic either."

Ya it would be a little awkward if she took her to the local jail to propose, but that was the truth of their story. It wasn't conventional, it wasn't the what most people would consider romantic but no matter how many times I heard the story it brought a smile to my face. Then it dawned on me.

I looked over at Vic, "I have an idea that might work."

--

"Wow that sounds like it will be perfect," Ashley said as we drove to dinner. I had just finished telling her about the proposal plans and she was excited to help.

I reached out and grabbed her hand holding it in my lap, "I know, I think so too. But enough about them tonight is about you and me."

She slid her hand up my thigh and with a smirk responded, "Yes it is." I held on to her hand to stop it as it was traveling further up my thigh. "You are going to get us killed," I said trying to concentrate on the road.

We pulled up to the restaurant and I made her wait before getting out of the car so I could open her door. If I was going to take her out on a date I was going to make sure she would remember it. We were at one of my favourite places that I happened to know the owners so I knew that we would get special treatment. I opened the door and she stepped out and took my hand. "Such a gentlewoman," she said with a smile.