Chapter Five

The bar was jammed again tonight and I had been running around like a chicken with my head cut off because one of our bar backs didn't show up for work. "Remind me to fire him," I yelled down the bar to Vic as I carried another bucket of ice to the well.

She was laughing at me as she was serving drinks, "Too much hard work James?"

I dropped the ice and shot her the finger. As I felt a hand run across the small of my back and heard a laugh behind me. I didn't have to turn around to know it was Ashley, she had been doing it all night and there was a part of me that was starting to feel a little guilty considering the fight that Vanessa and I had about Julie, so I decided I was going to call her.

"I'll be back Vic," I yelled and she waved me off.

I knew that I had no reason not to trust her and I was just being insane. I stepped outside so it was quiet. I pressed send on her contact and waited.

I could see people wandering around the side of the building still getting in line to get into the club, and it definitely wasn't quiet out here. The call connected and started to ring, after the second ring the call went to voicemail. I started down at my phone in shock because it wasn't your normal ring out, she ignored the call.

It's possible she could be mad about our argument but to ignore my call is a little much. I called back giving her the benefit of the doubt and this time she picked up but didn't say anything so I did, "Hey baby."

There was a lot of noise in the background and if I couldn't hear the song being played upstairs I would have thought that's where she was. Still she said nothing. "Where are you?" I yelled hoping she could hear me over the music.

"I'm out," was all she said. It didn't really mean anything, she could be out with friends, she could be out with Megan. "I just wanted to see what you were up to. I'll see you at home. I love you."

I still couldn't hear if she was saying anything and then there was a short pause in the music and I heard a voice. "Come on hang up and dance with me," as the call disconnected.

I jammed my phone back in my pocket and stood there wondering what just happened. I couldn't be certain because of the noise but the voice sounded like Julie. I hoped I was wrong but there was something that told me I wasn't. I leaned back against the side of the building and I heard someone calling my name.

When I looked up it was Ashley standing it front of me. "What are you doing out there? It's a mess up there."

She nodded quickly, "I know, Vic sent me down to get you. Said she needs your help with something."

I rolled my eyes. Victoria could have sent anyone down here to get  if me she needed me for anything but instead was throwing temptation in my face. "Oh I'm sure she does."

I was looking down at my shoes and Ashley walked closer to me, "Are you ok?" Her voice was soft and laced with concern. I nodded, "Ya, I'm fine." She took a step closer and now was standing directly in front of me with her hand on the wall above my head. "Lauren, was is it?"

Feeling her breath on my face as she spoke shook me out of the daze I was staring at my shoes. I looked up and our eyes met. She had the kind of eyes that you could get lost in. They were so blue they were almost clear and at the moment I could do nothing but stare into them.

Our faces weren't far apart and the hand that was on the wall was now lightly rubbing against the back of my neck. "Ash," I said warning her. She moved her hand off me quickly and backed away, "I know, I know."

I took a deep breath now that she had stepped back and pushed myself off the wall I was leaning on. She was starting to cross lines that I know I shouldn't cross. "We should get back to work before Vic sends out a search party."