Chapter Nineteen

It had been a few days since my conversation with Megan at the bar. Based on Vic's mood things between them were pretty much back to normal because they were clearly having sex all the damn time. Vic was exhausted but always smiling and Meg was visiting the bar more than usual. Me and Ashley had kept our distance for the most part with the except of a few touches here and there but there wasn't another episode like we had in the hallway and our conversation was limited.

Today I was walking into work and was hoping for a regular kind of a day. Ashley was opening today and Vic wasn't in until later so we were going to have to interact today no matter what. When I got there she was already waiting for me outside, she leaned against the door looking at her phone and I couldn't help but wonder if she was talking to someone.

As soon as she saw me she put it away and instantly smiled, "Hey Laur." I hated how something as small as a hello from her could put me in such a great mood, when moments later I would be reminded that I couldn't be with her right now.

"Hey Ash," I unlocked the door and held it open for her. She smiled as she walked passed and I stood in the doorway watching her walk away. Her voice broke me out of my gaze, "Stop looking at my ass."

I'm sure that my face went beet red but I really didn't care if she knew. She was gorgeous and I checked her out as much as I could. It hadn't been that long but I missed the feeling of her close to me and at this point I would take anything I could get. "Don't kid yourself you love it," I yelled back as she went behind the bar and I locked the door behind me. We still had about an hour before we opened up and the rest of the staff was notorious for showing up right at opening time.

I went and sat down at the bar as she was getting everything set up. I would normally go back into my office but I wanted to take the chance to talk to her. "So how are you?" I knew it was the stupidest question to ask but I would be happy if she talked to me at all.

She didn't stop what she was doing but I swore I almost saw her smirk, "Really Laur, how are you? Best you could come up with?"

I reached over and grabbed a coaster and threw it at her. It hit her but she didn't flinch, "It's early I need time to wake up." She shook her head not buying my excuse. "Uh huh."

For a moment I just watched her work but then it dawned on me that I did have something to talk to her about. "Actually there is something but you have to promise me that you aren't going to say anything to anyone."

That was enough to stop her because she looked up at me and rolled her eyes. I had trusted her so easily with my biggest secrets it was probably a little insulting that I seemed to be doubting her now. "You know I trust you. It's just a really big deal," I tried to cover so she wasn't too upset.

She stopped and walked in front of me, leaning on the bar, "What's going on? Is something wrong?" she looked concerned and it made my heart jump just a little that she was concerned about me.

I shook my head, "Ya, everything is fine. It's good news actually. Vic is going to propose to Megan."

Her eyes went wide and then a smile came across her face. "Seriously, oh my God that's amazing. When? Where? How?" she was starting to ramble and I started laughing.

I reached across the bar and grabbed her hands "Ash, breathe." She looked down at our hands but didn't pull them away. So I just continued, "Don't have an exact date yet. Probably here. And I'm probably going to need your help with the how, if you would like to take part."

Her thumb was brushing against the top of my hand, not sure if she even realized she was doing it but either way I loved every second of it. "Of course I would love to help. Does Megan have any idea?"