Chapter Twenty

"Jesus James, this guy sounds crazy," not sure why but every conversation I have with Vic lately she seems to have this face that says what are you doing with your life.

I was just staring at her like thank you captain obvious. "Ya well what am I going to do, let him come for her."

She rolled her eyes but she knew that it wasn't an option. "Well you could call the police," She said it so matter of fact but she clearly wasn't thinking. "Oh did you want to draw attention to us and your criminal girlfriend? You know since this place was bought with stolen money."

I hated bringing it up because I knew it was a sore spot for her. She loved Megan no matter what was in her past and honestly I felt the same way but in this case it definitely caused us some limitations on how we could deal with this. "Alright fine, what about that girl that comes in that is always trying to sleep with you, what's her name... Maddie?"

"What about her?" I knew exactly who she was talking about and she was not subtle about trying to get me to hook up with her anytime we were in the same room. "Well she's a cop isn't she? Maybe she can help without getting too invasive?"

It was a good thought but I really didn't love the idea of using because she had a thing for me. "How would you like me to go about that? Hey I know you wanted to get together but now that I'm single I need your help to save the girl I actually want to date."

I laughed when I said it and Vic was laughing too but it wasn't really funny because we needed to find a solution. "No that's probably not what you should say but I still think it's our best chance in the situation."

I sighed because I knew she was right but I really didn't want to do this. "Well this should be an interesting conversation," I said as I took out my phone and shot her a text. One night she had taken my phone and put her number in but I had never used it. Now I was grateful I had but I really had to walk a line so I wasn't leading her on.

"Hey, it's Lauren from Chaos. If you're free tonight would you mind coming by the bar, I have a favour to ask?"

It only took a few minutes to get a response. One that caused me to shake my head and glare at Vic. She came over behind me to read the message and started laughing when she did.

M: "Are we finally going to have that talk about us LJ?"

What do you even say to that. How do I tell her no and still expect to her to help me. But I can't give her hope either because there was none.

"Maddie you know I think you're great."

I sent the text and started typing again but before I could push send another message came through.

M: "Ya ya I know I know you aren't available. I'll come in tonight."

Vic had been over my shoulder reading the conversation. "Well that went well."

I turned around and rolled my eyes at her. She was laughing and she knew as well as I did that Maddie didn't give up easily. That wasn't the end of the conversation but I couldn't think about that right now.

We walked out of my office and out to the bar and Ashley was there getting things ready. I made sure her schedule lined up with mine going forward so that she wouldn't be alone. She didn't think it was necessary but who knows what this guy is capable of.

"Hey Vic," Ash called from behind the bar with a smile on her face. As I watched her and Vic interact I hoped that the smile was genuine even though I knew that her mind was racing over what Nathan was going to do next.

Last night as we laid in bed she cuddled into my chest but didn't say anything. Her arms were wrapped around me and I did my best to silently comfort her. I really didn't know what I could say to make her feel better but I hoped that she knew that I would be there for her no matter what the status of our relationship was at the moment.