Chapter Twenty Two

"So you're telling me that this guy is threatening your girlfriend after he already assaulted her and you won't call the police because of something you can't tell me, but you need my help."

I was sitting across the table from Maddie after giving her a basic rundown of what was happening with Nathan. I knew I was asking a lot of her considering I was only giving her part of the story but I was really hoping that she was willing to help.

I nodded in response to her question but stayed quiet while I watched her wheels turn. "You're asking for a lot," she said matter of fact and I started to wonder if I had made a mistake for even asking the question, if she started to dig she might figure out what I was keeping from her and we would be in a whole lot of trouble.

I hated that I was playing on her feelings for me but I didn't know what else to do and I knew I had to protect Ashley. "Look Maddie, I know I'm asking for a lot. I wouldn't blame you for saying no, but this guy is dangerous and I don't have any other options. I'm askin you to trust me."

She was staring at me for a while as if she wanted to say something, she almost looked irritated and I was sure I had lost this battle. Then she let out a deep sigh, "Alright."

My eyes went wide with surprise, "What?"

"Are you deaf? I said alright, but on one condition," she chuckled as she reached across the table and grabbed my hand.

She had a smirk on her face when she said it and I'm sure my face said pure terror. What was she going to ask? The look on her face said it was something that was going to put me in a compromising position with Ashley. "Maddie," I said cautiously.

She started laughing and pulled back her hand. I knew the look on my face said total confusion, "Relax Laur, you aren't the condition."

I relaxed slightly but was still unsure where this conversation was going, "So what is it that you want?"

She smiled and leaned in closer to speak quietly as she looked over my shoulder at something, "I want you to hook me up with the new DJ."

I raised my eyebrow as I turned around to see Lindsay talking to Ashley at the bar. Ash of course felt me looking at her and looked over and blew me a kiss. Lindsay was looking too and her and Maddie had made eye contact. I looked back across the table to see a blush coming over Maddie's face, I had never seen her so shy and I was enjoying her embarrassment probably just a little too much. "No problem, consider it done."

She finally broke eye contact with Lindsay and looked back over to me with a smile on her face. "Alright so let's talk about what we can do to help you."

We sat and talked for a little while longer about what our game plan was. She was going to look into Nathan and see if there was anything legally that he was already into that we could use to get him off our backs. She figured that a guy like that must have some skeletons in his closet we could exploit. For the most part we were going to continue what we were doing now. The cameras and extra security were already in place, Ashley went no where alone and I was to call Maddie immediately if he came back into the bar or sent anymore text messages.

It wasn't an immediate solution but I hoped that it would lead to some peace of mind for everyone and hopefully would get him out of our lives in the end. After she left Ashley, Vic and I had lunch together and I gave them an update to what was going on.

"Laur, I don't like that you guys are putting your necks on the line for me. It's not your battle to fight." She said it and I grabbed her hand and was about to argue that if she thought I would just leave her unprotected she was crazy when Vic piped in. "Shut up."