Chapter Twelve

"Well that's not what I was expecting," Ashley said as we sat on her couch having a drink. Once again her legs were draped over me and she was staring at me wide eyed as her hand was intertwined with mine.

I couldn't help but laugh at her reaction but I wasn't really surprised. "I know right. It was kind of insane, we just up and left our lives." I had just finished telling her about Vic and Megan and how we had got ourselves here. The conversation of course came up when she asked about Jordan. There was really no way to explain that situation without telling her the rest of it, and for whatever reason I trusted her.

At this point the risk of people finding out wasn't as bad but we did our best not to let people question where the money might come from. It was part of why it was such a good thing that our bar was very lucrative. Megan had served her time but the fact that she had put aside so much money was something that could still get her into a lot of trouble. After work I drove us to her place and it was now around 4am. I had told her everything and she hadn't kicked me out yet so I guess that was a good thing.

"Now I understand why Jordan looked so shocked when she saw you and why Vic looked so scared when I told you that she wanted to talk to someone. Have you talked to Vic since?" I finished the drink I had in my hand and she grabbed the glass and put it on the table since her legs were in my lap and I couldn't really move.

"I sent her a text telling her that she was going to have to talk to her eventually but she didn't say anything probably because she went home to tell Megan and they are talking about it. I just don't know if she told Megan about the crap with Vanessa yet."

Her smile left her face at the mention of the girl who technically was still my girlfriend. "Sorry," I said looking down at my lap. I could tell she was shaking her head as I felt her hand on the side of my face and her body move closer to me.

"Don't be," she said and I put my hand over hers. There was something about the way that she touched me that made me feel like I was home, "What are you doing to me?" I whispered.

She didn't say anything but her face was close enough to me now that I could feel her smile. She put her chin on my shoulder as I closed my eyes asking myself what I was doing here. Yes Vanessa was cheating but I hadn't dealt with it yet and here I was sitting with this woman I basically just met like we had been together for years.

I let out a big sigh and she moved her head off my shoulder, her hand falling into her lap. I grabbed it and pulled it to my lips and kiss it softly, "Doesn't mean I'm not sorry."

Over the course of the time we had been sitting like this there had been so many moments when I wanted to do nothing but kiss her. Every time her hands brushed across mine, every time she leaned forward and I could feel her breath on my neck I wanted to wrap my hands in her hair and pull her towards me. But I can't not until I sort out my bullshit.

"Do you love her?" she said quietly and I had a feeling she really didn't want to hear the answer. I looked over at her and I could feel my eyes filling with tears. Of course the answer was yes, but clearly the feeling was no longer mutual so did it really matter. "I do," I said as she laced our fingers together again. "But that doesn't really matter."

We sat in a comfortable silence. It was nice to not always have to say something. I started to wonder if I would hear from Vanessa since it was getting close to the time when she should start to wonder where I am. That is of course if she's home herself. Thinking about that started to make me irritated even though what I was doing wasn't right either.

"You're going home aren't you?" Her voice broke me out of my thoughts. I turned to look at her knowing the answer but not wanting to give it. "I have to, until I sort this out. I shouldn't be here right now but I can't seem to stay away from you."