Chapter 42.

Scarlett's POV

Let me tell you a story about a boy and a girl, a very different version that you've ever heard.

"Why is Josh Franceschi in my bedroom?" I groaned dramatically into my pillow. I was barely awake so the filter between my mouth and brain was yet to process anything. The singing continued to blare out into my bedroom. As I started to come around I realised that You Me At Six were not in fact in my bedroom and I sounded like a complete creep. I sat up sleepily whilst I pushed the mess of hair out of my face so I could see something. As I opened my eyes, several yawns escaped my mouth. My eyes finally came into focus and I was greeted with the blinding morning light. I had only just noticed the song had stopped playing when it started again. I let out a deep sigh before rummaging through several pillows and sheets before I eventually found my phone buried deep within my comfy cave. Apparently I had missed several calls, all from the same person.

"Hello?" I asked down the phone line, letting out yet another yawn. Ten am was clearly too early for me.

"Nice to see you're finally awake." Maria chuckled.

"It's ten in the morning, who wants to be up now?"

"Anyone who doesn't want to rot in bed all day."

"Wow, what a nice way to put it." I replied sarcastically. I began fiddling with the ends of my hair, I needed a haircut but I hated awkward conversations with hairdressers and they never seem to get the right style or they cut off too much, my perception of a centimetre was very different to theirs.

"So I have some important news to tell you." She beamed, her voice was full of excitement as I listened in closely.

"So there was a reason for this early morning wakeup call?" I mused, earning laughter from Maria.

"Well I wouldn't be cruel without a purpose."

"Are you sure about that?"

"Anyway, before you start a conversation about how I treat you fairly, let's discuss my news."

"Go on..."

"You know whilst we were in America?"

"Yes, I'm quite aware of that time in states."

"You know you were working on some tracks on the bus and sometimes in the venues?"

"Yes..."

"Well I sent the tracks to a recording studio and you know Ollie?"

"No...no I don't."

"He was on tour, he was in charge of the sound and did all the mixing and stuff."

"Oh right, the one who always wore that grey beanie?" I questioned, vaguely remembering him. I didn't see him much, we never really interacted since we didn't cross each other's paths very often. He did do the sound and the microphone levels but he always had an assistant so his communication with me was barely existent.

"That would be him. So anyway he was working with some of your tracks and he's actually finished producing one."

"Wait, what?" I spluttered.

"Yep."

"Why wasn't I aware of this?"

"Surprise?" She asked rhetorically.

"Which song?" I replied, letting it go.

"Perfect Two."

I could sense the pride and excitement in her voice but I was feeling anything but that. Any other song would have been great but not that one.