Chapter 40.

Louis' POV

"You've been staring aimlessly at the TV all day." Niall commented as he chowed down on another snack of the day, I'd lost count the amount of times he's ventured into the kitchen in the past hour. Quite honestly I didn't care, it was the least of my worries right now.

"So?" I shot back, not even moving my head to look at him. I remained leant forward on the sofa, my elbows resting on my knees and my head against my hands.

"You haven't even switched it on." He stated matter-of-factly.

"You're point being?"

"Staring at a blank TV isn't going to solve anything." His words shocked me, for once he said something which was remotely useful. Not that he isn't a clever boy or anything like that but he normally discusses the size of his stomach or what his favourite cereal is.

"Then what do you suggest?" I sighed heavily whilst I turned to face him. His choice of snack this time happened to be a packet of digestive biscuits. His hand was rummaging through the packet as his stare met mine.

"Do I look like a love guru?" He chuckled. I rolled my eyes in his direction before throwing a cushion at him, knocking the biscuits straight out his hands.

"Hey!"

"That's for being unhelpful."

"Hey, I didn't make the mess you're in." He defended which was remotely true which only caused me to groan more in annoyance.

"You didn't play the knight in shining armour either."

"I wasn't her boyfriend."

"But you were her friend." I retorted, arching an eyebrow at him as he mused the thought.

"Hey, what was I supposed to believe? All the evidence pointed against her."

"Which is exactly what Taylor wanted." I growled, threatening to pull out my own hair as my fingers tangled in the strands which lacked hygiene from the absence of showers I had undertaken recently.

"Taylor's gone now anyway." He spoke shoving another biscuit in his mouth.

"But so is Scarlett. Do you not feel any remorse for what happened?" My temper was rising even though I was trying to remain calm. It wasn't Niall's fault, it was mine but I needed some support here, maybe a few encouraging words would help.

"Of course I do!" He replied, his voice rising too. "But is it really my place to fix things?" He asked in a more subdued tone. I took a deep breath, allowing all the air to shortly leave. He was right, what he had done was nowhere near as bad as what I did and I should be the one on my hands and knees begging for forgiveness. I didn't get a chance to reply, I was too lost in my own thoughts and by the time I wanted to speak again we were joined by another figure.

"Thanks, what do I owe you?" Harry asked down the phone, not even taking any notice of Niall and I listening in to his conversation. "Okay, thanks." He spoke again before hanging up.

"Who was that?" I mused, staring suspiciously at him as he picked up his jacket from the back of the sofa.

"Just a contact." He muttered, flinging his jacket onto his back.

"A contact?" I repeated.

"Yes, problem?" He scowled.

"Nice to see you out of your room." Niall interrupted in a chirpy tone, he could probably sense the atmosphere around Harry and I. It wasn't a pleasant one. Neither of us had spoken to one another since yesterday.

"Yep." Harry replied, pulling a pair of shoes onto his feet, not even looking at Niall to respond.

"Going somewhere?" I asked.