The Kiss

Alec shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets, his shoulders bending inwards. Despite being quite a broad shouldered man, he managed to make himself look as small as possible. And he was a man, now. Not the seventeen-year-old overgrown anxious kid Magnus had met a few months ago. Now Alec had grown into himself, and whilst he was still anxious, he was definitely not a kid anymore. The shadowhunter licked his lips, looking away from Magnus’ eyes. Eventually the warlock spoke up.  “So this will….you’ll finish it, will you? This attack will stop Sebastian’s army?” He asked. Alec shrugged again, “we’re hoping, at least.” He murmured. And then there was silence.

“How likely is it that you’ll survive?” Magnus asked him. His voice was flat, serious. Alec’s eyes flicked up for a moment before he cast his eyes back down to the floor. “Do you want my likelihood of survival or everyone else’s?” he mumbled.

“Why? Do you think your rate will be different?”

“Everyone here…and I mean everyone is stronger than me. only the strongest will survive. I mean, I can hardly hold my own with Jace. I’ve got minutes in the field without him.” He told Magnus. the warlock bit his lip. He wanted to yell out that Alec was better than that, he wanted to show him the impact he had on everyone else and how much Jace would disintegrate without him there. But the words got stuck, they clogged up in his throat. Instead, he reached out, his fingertips brushing the skin across his cheekbone. Alec looked up, and Magnus couldn’t help it. Alexander was so utterly flawless and beautiful to the point of being damn angelic from that angle. Even though he had betrayed, and lied….and….it didn’t matter. He was perfect and caring and honest and innocent and intelligent. Magnus couldn’t resist. His hand trailed up to Alec’s hair – the shadowhunter had by now realised what was going on and was opening his mouth to indignantly refuse – and the other hand looped around Alec’s waist and pulled him close. Their breath mingled for a moment or two before Magnus closed the gap and pressed his lips to Alec. The shadowhunter let out an adorable little squeak, his hand grasping at Magnus’ arm. He leaned in automatically, chest pressed to Magnus’, his fingertips brushing across his shoulder. “Alec, we have to go…” Isabelle’s voice trailed off, and Alec suddenly came back to his senses, forcing his mouth away from Magnus’. Izzy was already grinning her signature gossipy smile. Alec leaned slightly away from Magnus, still holding his shoulders tightly. He looked over his shoulder at his sister, “I’ll be with you…just give me a second, alright?” he asked politely. She nodded and bounced off in the other direction like an excited rabbit. Alec turned back to Magnus, and a cold silence filled the air. After a minute or two, Alec whispered “fuck…” under his breath, and lunged at Magnus, kissing him desperately. The warlock wound his arms around his hips again, pressing them as close to each other as they could get. Eventually, when neither of them could hold their breath any longer, they pulled apart.

Alec ran his hands through his hair, stepping back dreamily. “I think you need to go.” Magnus said, shoving his hands in his pockets. Alec looked up, eyes unfocused. But he stared at him all the same, pointing one finger warningly at him. He smirked, “we are talking about this when I come back.” He warned and the warlock raised an eyebrow, smiling back.

But Alec never did come back.