Rebelious

That night was like any other.

Their son, Lysander, was home half an hour passed his curfew. He flung the door open, allowing it to swing back and hit the wall next to it. Alec’s head snapped up, “hey,” he said sternly, “watch it. You’re gunna crack that wall if you’re not careful.” He said. Lysander answered with an irritated grunt. Magnus flew out of the bathroom, one towel around his hips, the other knotted around his hair – he’d started growing it longer, since they’d adopted him sixteen years ago. “Lys, sweetie, are you home safe? You’re okay? No one’s hurt you?” he rushed, running over to their son. “You didn’t come past, and I and Alec were so worried-”

“Oh just shut up. You two are giving me such a headache!” he yelled, stomping up the two or so steps to his bedroom. Alec sighed, when had he become such a handful? He’d been such an easy toddler…and a wonderful boy – he was kind to everyone. It was only since he’d turned fifteen or so, and he’d really started noticing girls that he’d gotten so moody. Alec didn’t have the heart to tell him off properly. He continued cleaning up, as Magnus stood thoughtfully in the middle of their apartment. “Do you think we spoil him?” he asked, Alec smiled, wandering up to his husband,

“No. Do you remember that fit he had last week because we wouldn’t let him go out with his friends until he’d finished his chores?” He added. Magnus chuckled,

“I do recall. Do you think, since he hardly ever cried out as a toddler…he’s just going through that phase now.” He suggested. Alec stepped up on his toes, planting a kiss on Magnus’ lips.

“Well whatever it is…do you think you could embarrass him less by actually wearing clothes?” he suggested. Magnus raised an eyebrow, “I see your point, I’ll go throw something on.” He said. Alec nodded, running his hands down his husband’s chest. “I’ll go talk to him then.” He sighed, following the boy.

Lysander was lying on his bed. Alec paused, opening his door. “Lysander?” he called, unsure.

“What?” the boy snapped. His father closed the door, turning on the light.

“I was just wondering, you’ve been so distant from us… is there something going on?” He asked.
“Like what?” his son grumbled, Alec shrugged, sitting down on the edge of the bed,

“y’know… just…maybe you were having some friendship troubles, or someone was giving you a hard time, or maybe you’re struggling with who you like or-”

“You’re the only gay one in the apartment, if that’s what you were implying.” Alec paused,

“Right. Okay. So…what’s the problem?” He asked, “Is it…a girl then?” he asked. He assumed by the lack of negativity from his son, he was correct. “What are you worried about?” he asked. Lysander mumbled something, “sorry, I couldn’t hear you sweetie, what was that?”

“I don’t want her to meet you.” He said, slightly louder. Alec’s shoulders slumped a little,

“Why not?” he couldn’t hide his sadness,

“Do you remember what happened with Elise?” He asked. Alec chewed his lip,

“well, that wasn’t deliberate.”

“Magnus walked in on her in the bathroom.”

“He said he was sorry. Many times.”

“yeah, so I don’t want you to embarrass my new girlfriend.”

“I’ll talk to him, but…I’m sure she’s lovely, and I’m sure Magnus and I…won’t do anything to upset or disturb her. We’ll try not to. I’d just…love to meet her.”

____

A few days later, and Lysander had reluctantly agreed to let his parents meet his girlfriend (whilst he admitted and accepted Alec and Magnus as his fathers, he also refused to call them “father” or anything along that line because he was very aware that he was adopted). “She said she’ll be here soon.” He told them. It was around ten at night. Alec was worried that maybe her parents would be cautious about their daughter being out so late – and with a boy.

There was a knock at the door, and Lysander jumped up off the sofa, launching himself at the door – that’s the fastest he’s moved outside of training, Magnus thought to himself as the door flung open. Both of his parents gasped. They both knew those eyes – that hair, that smile…all of it was burnt into their brains. She flashed a smile at Magnus, and a slightly colder look at Alec. Camille.

She was dead.

Maureen killed her.

There was no way, no way that she could be standing there.

Magnus clicked his tongue, that lying, self-serving, arrogant bitch, he thought, storming forwards. He thrust Lysander back into the apartment, forcing himself between the two ‘lovers’, and quickly slammed the door on Camille. His son screamed at him,

“What the hell was that for?!” he yelled. Magnus pressed his lips together,

“Sweetheart, there are many many wonderful girls out there. That one is not one of them.”

“You haven’t even given her a chance! You said you wouldn’t do anything to embarrass us! Alec promised!” He screamed. Alec breathed out, wandering forwards,

“I know what we said, but…Camille…you’re too young for her.”

“Magnus is older than her and you’re allowed to be with him!” He argued,

“I was eighteen when I met Magnus.”

“And besides, Camille isn’t…in best favour with the Clave.” Lysander rolled his eyes at Magnus’ comment. “Oh, and like you and Alec and Jace have been angels in the eyes of the Clave as well. Is there any rule you haven’t broken?” Lysander looked like he was on the verge of some large, angry, teenage rant. “There are many good times to have a teenage rebellion stage, but not here, not now, and not with that woman.” Alec replied in a calm tone.

“What is so wrong with Camille that I can’t be with her?” he argued indignantly. Alec’s eyes flitted over to Magnus. “She’s like…a black widow spider. Once you’ve served your purpose, she’ll end your life. Very few of her past lovers have escaped alive. We’re just…looking out for you. Some downworlders are dangerous.” Magnus said.

“Alec got to be with you-”

“Alec is…being very trusting and careful to live with a downworlder. But people like her, no matter how careful you are, you’ll always get burned by them in the end. And I know it’s harsh, but…for the safety of your life, I forbid you from ever seeing Camille Belcourt again.” It was the first time he stepped up as a father and given Lysander a serious talk. And the teenager seemed to understand how serious he was being. He nodded silently, slumping back onto the sofa. Sparing another glance at Magnus, the younger parent went to sit and to comfort their child.