Breakfast

Alec’s eyelids fluttered open, the light streaming through the window catching him off guard. He grumbled, drawing his forearm over his eyes. Damn the sun. he stayed there for several minutes trying to fall back asleep, but sleeping with his arm drooped over his head was not a position Alec had found himself accustomed with. So after a few more minutes of idle procrastinating, he finally gave up, sitting up in bed. Magnus was still lying asleep next to him. He looked peaceful when he was sleeping – the horrors of what he’d witness for the past hundreds of years didn’t seem to reach him in the dream realm. Alec tentatively peeled back the sheets off his legs, slipping out of the bed and, after grabbing his clothing that had been discarded the night before and clothing himself once more, he exited the bedroom into the kitchen area.

Magnus was going to steal their breakfast from some unsuspecting mundane, no doubt. And Alec always felt…well, slightly guilty about that. The mundane he stole from would most likely be hysterical. He couldn’t imagine cooking an entire breakfast only to find it just…disappeared. He’d wondered many times if Magnus’ stealing odd items had actually driven anyone to a kind of insanity. It wasn’t a subject he wanted to mull over. Absentmindedly, not wanting another mundane to suffer the loss of their breakfast, Alec sorted through Magnus’ cupboards looking for the various ingredients and implements he needed.

He’d officially moved out of the Institute a few weeks ago, and his mother had forced him into learning a few stable meals so he could cook for himself if he ever needed to. If he was completely honest, Alec hadn’t actually retained most of the information she’d told him. He did remember one of the simpler ones – pancakes. Not anything fancy like the fruit pancakes he was used to at the Institute, but just the basic. He wouldn’t…burn down Magnus apartment, would he?

In the end, it took Alec two attempts at making the batter correctly and about three practise pancakes, he managed to create a suitable batch. Not bad for a first effort off the top of his head. Coffee, coffee he could make. He’d spent enough mornings at Magnus’ making coffee to stop the mundanes losing theirs. He set it up on Magnus’ table. For a boy who’d never lifted a finger for any housework or chores, he was pretty proud of himself, and scampered off back into the bedroom to wake Magnus up.

The room was surprisingly light now, and still the warlock lay on his back, arm over his eyes, covers pulled down to his waist. Alec sat on the bed, crawling over to paw the warlock’s shoulder. “Magnus.” he whispered softly. His boyfriend grumbled, grabbing the front of Alec’s shirt, pulling him face-first into his chest. Alec made sounds of protest – eventually pulling himself back up to a sitting position. “Wake up.” he commanded. Magnus grumbled,

“You’re too clothed for me. Why don’t you take off your clothes and come back to bed?” he purred. Alec paused. The offer was tempting; certainly. He turned around, shuffling off the bed. “C’mon,” he urged. “Your breakfast’ll get cold.” Magnus rolled over,

“I can just appearify more.” Alec’s shoulder dropped a little.

“Yeah, but I didn’t make that one.” he murmured. The warlock sat up in bed,

“You made breakfast?” he asked. Alec nodded. “Well then, how could I possibly refuse?” he asked, getting out of bed, searching around on the floor. “Sweetie, in which vicinity did you happen to throw my underwear?” he asked.

Eventually, fully clad, Magnus wandered into dining area. Their breakfast was still warm. He pulled the chair out for Alec, and once he was sat down, the warlock kissed the top of his head thoughtfully, “thank you for making all of this.” He smiled, “you didn’t have to.” Alec shrugged as Magnus sat opposite him. “Just…eat it. I mean, not if it’s awful or inedible, I mean, I don’t want you to get sick...” he trailed off, blushing furiously, and Magnus smiled at his young delicate lover, enjoying the taste of the food he’d made (which was actually surprisingly good).