Quarrel and forget

“Alec, you can’t continue playing the violin, you’re a shadowhunter, not a musician!”

“I can be a shadowhunter and play the violin in my spare time!” He yelled back. His dad smiled, and ruffled his hair. “I’ll believe that when I see it.” He laughed, and Alec shoved his hand off his head.

“I mean it!” He yelled. His mother crossed her arms, but she was smiling.

“Alec, your training is going to take up a lot of your time – you’ll be very tired afterwards, you’ll give the violin up anyway. You’ve got to give a lot of things up anyway – the violin doesn’t matter.” She said. He gritted his teeth, “It does matter! I can do violin and training!” he yelled, running out of his mother’s study, running out the door – his parents yelling out after him as he ran away.

 New York was cold as he paced angrily through the streets. He wrapped his arms around himself, regretting only wearing a flimsy jumper. His breathe was visible in the cold air, and he soon stopped, finding shelter in an alley. He crouched down, shivering. But he didn’t want to go home – not after such a short time. “Buenas noche,” He heard, and looked up. A man stood above him, smiling down at him. “Oh, a nephilim.” His eyes searched Alec’s face. “Unmarked. How unusual.” Alec stood up.

“What are you?” He asked sharply. The man smiled,

“My name is Raphael.” He answered, “Vampire.” He put his hands in his pockets, “What’s your name?” Alec stood up, staring at him.

“I’m not supposed to talk to Downworlders.” He said. Raphael twitched,

“You’re on my ground. Unarmed.”

“I was cold.”

“You’re on my ground. You are trespassing. I may do as I please to trespassers.” The vampire moved forward, and Alec moved back his eyes fixed firmly on him. He was afraid. His back hit the wall, and he breathed out as the vampire loomed over him. “Santiago, leave the boy alone.” The vampire turned around, “Bane.” He hissed. Alec peered passed the vampire at a tall slender man stood at the entrance to the alleyway. “This kid is on my territory.” He said. The man, Bane, walked forward,

“Yes, but he’s a shadowhunter. Do you really think, even if it is justified, they’ll let you get away with killing one of their children?” He was smiling, but not evilly. It was a genuine smile. The vampire looked at Alec, who was still pressed up against the wall. “Fine, you take the nephilim kid back to his home.” He snapped, deliberately knocking into him. The man turned to him, and Alec gasped. His eyes were gold-green like a cats. He stared in awe at this man. Or warlock. “Hello, I’m Magnus. Who’re you?” He asked, his voice friendly. It had begun to drizzle, and the warlock’s outline was shining with raindrops. “Alec.” His voice was quiet. Magnus smiled,

“Shall we go somewhere to get out of this rain then, Alec?” He took the shadowhunter’s hand gently, and took him out of the alleyway.

They sat down at a booth. Alec was fairly certain he wasn’t supposed to be out with a stranger, but he didn’t want to go home. Magnus sat opposite him, “ever been here?” He asked. Alec shook his head, “I’ve never really been out of the Institute.” He murmured. Magnus’ eyes studied the child, amused. “I forgot you shadowhunters have a very small home base – that your view of the world is very different to how it actually is.” Alec shrugged,

“I remember Idris, but…other than that, all I’ve ever known was the walls of the Institute.” He muttered. “Why did you leave the Institute?” Magnus asked softly, and Alec told him everything. There was just something about the warlock that made him want to tell him. Once he was finished, he breathed out – Magnus and him had ordered warm drinks. Black coffee with sugar. He sipped slowly, allowing the liquid to warm him up. “Why do you want to play the violin so much?” He asked, and the little boy shrugged. “Mom and dad make shadowhunting out to be this whole massive thing that is my only purpose. I just want to do something that means my entire life isn’t just…doing that. I mean I want to do other things as well.” He said, brushing a hand through his hair. Magnus leaned back, “how old are you?”

“Eleven.”

“okay, regardless of whether you want to play the violin or not, I think your parents are probably terrified of not knowing where you are.” Alec shrugged,

“They can find me whenever. They can put a tracking rune on something I own. They would have done it if I meant that much to them.” Magnus frowned,

“Just…come on, Alec. Go back home.” He said.

Alec had gone back, talking with the warlock about the many adventures he’d had in his life – including the shocking and disturbing story of how he was banned from Peru. Eventually he was stood on the front steps of the Institute again. “okay, so…Alec, can you do me a favour?” The boy turned up his blue eyes searching the warlocks face. “Close your eyes for me.” He said, and Alec complied. The warlock touched his forehead softly, and then took his fingers away, but it felt like he was pulling something out of Alec.

The boy felt a wave of dizziness, and his fingers pressed the buzzer. Almost immediately, Mayrse and Robert answered the door. Alec’s eyes were glazed over, and Robert bent down, “Alec, sweetheart, Alexander, are you okay? Are you hurt?” He shook his son slightly. The boy’s eyes drifted over him. He looked tired. So tired. “Do you want to go to bed?” He asked. Alec nodded, and outstretched his arms to his dad, who picked him up to carry him to bed. Magnus watched from the shadows as the parents went inside with their child before he turned back, his fingers still burning from where he’d pulled the child’s memories.