Out

Magnus opened the door to his apartment, pulling his coat off. His hair was soaked, not even his hair gel could keep his hair up, and his makeup had long since been washed away. He hated stormy weather. He looked down at the floor. There were damp footprints on the floor, and somebody’s shoes were lying askew across the floor. Magnus swore under his breath, throwing his coat down. Who the hell was breaking into the High Warlock of Brooklyn’s apartment? “Hey!” He yelled, following the footprints. They were in his bedroom. He was about to burst through the door when he heard it. Sobbing. He opened the door gently, peering inside. There was someone hunched in the corner, sobbing violently. He moved forward. It was Alec.

He was sat in the corner, his head down. He was carving a rune into himself with a stele, but his hands were shaking too badly – it was just hurting him more. He was moaning and gasping, trying to breathe. Magnus rushed forward, and put his hand on the stele, stopping Alec’s movement. Alec looked up at him, his eyes red and puffy. His left one was closed slightly, swelling up. His lip was cut as well. Magnus pursed his lips, as he cupped the boy’s face. “Alec…what happened?” he whispered, swallowing hard. Alec moaned again, his arms visibly shaking. He was obviously trying to draw an iratze on himself, to heal his face. Magnus wrapped his arms around him, not caring about the snot that Alec was probably getting on his shirt. Alec put a hand on Magnus’ upper arm, grasping at him for support. And he cried for such a long time.

Eventually he’d stopped crying enough for Magnus to get him a glass of water, and he sipped it slowly. His face was still bruised, but now he sat quietly, his eyes blank. Numb. Magnus sat on the floor below him. “What happened, Alec?” he asked. The boy looked at him.

“I’m sorry…I just didn’t know where to go.” He said, indicating to his duffle bag that sat beside him. Magnus shrugged, “it’s okay darling, now just tell me what happened.” He said. Alec put his head in his hands. “My dad…he said the Institute wasn’t welcoming people like me.” he spat the words, and squared his jaw, biting back tears. “People like you?” Magnus asked.

“Homosexuals. He said that…if I wanted to stay with you…I wasn’t going to stay with them.” He said, “So he kicked me out.” His mouth twitched, and he rubbed his hands together. Magnus knelt up, and put his hand on Alec’s cheek. “Well…y’know, your dad might have kicked you out and did that to you, but do you know what? I won’t. If you had to sacrifice everything you are and everything that will make you happy for your dad…he’s not worth having a son as intelligent, beautiful, funny or interesting as you.” He smiled weakly, “and now at least you don’t have to sneak around to see me.” he said, pulling Alec into a hug. Alec smiled weakly, “That’s why I came to you. You were the only one who could make me feel better.” He said and then chuckled, “Well it was between you, Simon and Clary. I think the choice was easy.” He murmured, and Magnus smiled.

“If it wasn’t an easy choice, I don’t think I would let you in.” He said, pulling Alec to his feet. “Any who, to bed, whether we shall actually sleep or whether I’ll be making you feel better remains to be seen, though.” He grinned. Alec blushed.

“Can I… fix my face first?” He whispered, and Magnus smiled.

“Anything you want, dear.” He said, pulling him towards the bedroom.