Puppy

Magnus head hit the wall. Hard. There was teal smoke everywhere (hopefully doing no damage to his apartment, it would be such a  pain to have to redecorate). He was confused for a moment or two. So confused. What was happening? He’d…Alec had distracted him, and the spell had gone wrong. And this had happened. Damn, it was so difficult to think clearly…he couldn’t….

Alec.

That was the only thing he could think – the only person he could think about. “Aec.” His mouth moved slowly, not catching up with his thoughts. He swallowed the thick taste in his mouth and tried again, “Alec!” the word came out complete this time. “Alexander, where are you?!” He screamed. The smoke was clearing – everything was okay. But where was he?

Magnus got himself up on his feet, searching. “Alec?!” He asked again. And this time he got a response. A little yelp. He furrowed his eyebrows. Alec was a grown man. He didn’t…yelp. But that’s what he got. And another one. A loud, echo-y yap. As the smoke cleared, something scampered up to him.

A small, black puppy, mouth open, tongue rolling out, two floppy ears – one of which flopped over his eye. His blue eye.  Magnus bent down. The puppy’s tail was wagging eagerly and he nuzzled affectionately into Magnus’ leg. “Alec…is that you?” The puppy barked again, almost nodded – it’s ear flapping and hitting him in the face causing him to lose balance and fall over. Magnus had no choice but to laugh as Alec bounced back up. There were creamy patterns across his dark fur which on closer watch appeared to be the runes that covered his body at the time. He could just about make out the parabatai rune near one of his front paws. “Isabelle’s going to kill me.” he said, as Alec continued to affectionately nuzzle himself against Magnus. “Believe it or not,  though, this has happened to Ragnor a couple times before, he told me how to counteract it if I ever did it. I never…thought I would fuck up and turn my boyfriend into a puppy, though.” He laughed. “You’re okay with it, right?” He asked. Alec nodded again, his ear flopping and hitting his eye again. “I better call Izzy and the rest. They’re not gunna want to miss this.”

____

Clary took Jace outside, he was laughing so hard. Magnus stood, puppy Alec in hands, and the puppy was covering his eyes with his paw. Simon stood staring at it. “You know, I thought you were the high warlock of Brooklyn.” He said, Magnus rolled his eyes,

“Well, the spell was going well until Alec tried to get my attention. Even the high warlock can mess up sometimes.” He commented. Isabelle wandered forward,

“Can you get started on the reverse, and put my brother down, you’re probably scaring him with how high up he is.” Reluctantly, Magnus put him on the floor, and he scampered over to Isabelle, madly sniffing around her ankles. “Is he still…mentally Alec? Because my brother has never sniffed my ankles before.” She commented. Magnus shrugged,

“Maybe in his new doggy form he wants to really make the most of it. If he tries to pee on my furniture though, please do remove him.” Alec turned around and barked at him. Loudly. Magnus could almost see the indignant look on his face. Isabelle sat down, and Simon followed her. “Do you want me to rub your tummy, Alec?” she asked. And the puppy sat down in front of her, cocking it’s head slightly. She laughed, “well I guess you’re still my big brother, even if you are the cutest little dog right now.”

Jace eventually  came back into the apartment, clutching his stomach. He’d found Alec’s tiny and unthreatening body as an animal utterly hilarious. He still found it amusing as the tiny thing sat in front of his sister, it’s eye turned up towards Jace expectantly. “Don’t worry, I wasn’t laugh at you, it was just a shock seeing you like that.” he murmured, and Alec inclined his head, accepting the comment. He wandering up to Jace, rubbing himself against his leg. “I’ve never been a dog person, but I guess Alec-Pup is alright.” He smiled. “What happened to his clothes?” He asked offhandedly, and Magnus, who was busy preparing the drink that would turn his boyfriend back into a human, indicated over to the corner were a selection of worn and tatty clothing lay. “So…when Alec turns back, he’ll be in the nude?” Jace asked, everyone else in the room turned a few shades paler (except for Simon, of course, who’s skin was already as pale as it would go). “That’s why you’re all leaving when I fix this. I wouldn’t want to embarrass him like that.”  Magnus murmured. Jace shrugged,

“I don’t mind,” he began, “I’ve already seen Alec naked before.” The warlock quickly turned on his heels, shoving the shadowhunters and vampire in the direction of the door, “yes and we will evaluate how close and wonderful yours and Alexander’s bromance is another time, but now I’m going to be nursing him through the disorientation of changing species. Thank you, and goodbye.” He slammed the door quickly, turning to face his new four legged friend. He had to admit, even if he did usually prefer cats, that that puppy was one of the cutest he had ever seen.