Saved

Magnus turned around, “for God’s sake, Jace, get out of my hair! You getting in the way is only going to kill Alec faster!” He snapped. And froze. The blonde haired shadowhunter just looked at him. There was so much pain in him as he stared at the warlock, and then at his parabatai. As another broken moan protruded from Alec’s lips, a tear slid down Jace’s face, staining his bloodied shirt. “Jace… I didn’t mean to…” Magnus stuttered, putting a hand over his mouth. And then he remembered it was covered in the nephilim boy’s blood, and took it away. Jace slipped passed him, and crouched by the side of Alec’s bed. He put his hand in his, rubbing it gently. “Alec.” He said very softly. The boy lying in bed opened his eyes, just a little. “Jace.” He croaked back. He was very weak. Jace could feel it. It wasn’t right. Feeling Alec so weak and tired. “Do you…do you want me to get anyone? Do you want to say goodbye to anyone?” Jace asked, more tears falling down his face. His lip quivered, and his voice cracked. Magnus had never seen him so defeated. Losing Alec truly was tearing him apart. Alec’s eyes widened a little. “Say…goodbye?” He asked.  Jace squeezed his eyes shut as Alec slipped into unconsciousness again. He covered his face with his hand and began sobbing. Magnus could hear every pained inhale, every wheezing whimper he made as he clutched onto the hand of his best friend.

The warlock swallowed back tears. “Jace, there is…I can do something…but…” Jace looked up at the words. “What? Why haven’t you done it yet? Why are you still standing here, not doing anything? Why haven’t you saved him yet?”

“Because it would mean halving my eternal lifespan, and sharing it with Alec. I would die when he died, he will die when I die. It would have limitations to it. Alec and I would have to be…living together from then onwards.” Jace was already stood up.

“I don’t think there is any hesitation on this one. If you can save him…fuck the consequences. I am not letting Alec die tonight.” He said firmly. “Now what do you need to do this?” Magnus looked at the skinny frame in bed. “Just the spell book. I brought it with me. It’s probably with my things outside.” He said, his voice close to a whisper. Jace quickly bolted out of the room, swinging around the doorframe and almost throwing the book at Magnus. “Now save my brother.” He snapped, slamming the door behind him.

Alec awoke finally two days later. The sun was bright through a gap in his curtains. He groaned and began sitting up when he saw the figures. Two of them, their heads resting on either side of him. One of them was Jace, the other…Magnus? Slowly, tentatively, he brushed his hands through Magnus’ thick, dark hair. He’d missed touching him so much. The warlock made a sleepy sound, and looked up, blinking his eyes groggily (Magnus had two eyelids, they came with the cat eyes, Alec had been freaked out the first time he’d seen him wake up, but now it was as natural to him as anything). His spiked hair was down, and he wasn’t wearing any makeup. Alec got the feeling he’d been here for a long time and hadn’t gone back to his apartment. “How long…was I out for?” Alec asked, and Magnus jerked a little, surprised to hear his voice. He turned to Alec, and leaned over his legs to rouse Jace. The blonde haired boy swatted at the warlock, “I’m up, I’m up, stop shaking.”

“Alec’s awake.” Jace turned and stared at his parabatai before launching himself at him, holding him tight to his body. “I thought you might never wake up.” He whispered, his voice cracking. Alec held him back. He’d felt so distant from Jace as he drifted in and out of nightmares whilst he was asleep. Going from one horror to another, without Jace’s warmth and strength and humour…he thought maybe he’d gone to hell. Jace slowly broke apart, and smiled at him. “Magnus saved you.” He said, holding Alec’s hand tightly. Alec turned to look at Magnus, was was sitting on the edge of his bed. “Thank you…” he mumbled. Magnus turned to look at him,

“Thank you? Just thank you? I gave up half my life and my independence for you. And I get thank you?” He snapped. Alec stared at him, and then at Jace.

“What…” he stuttered, and Jace smiled crookedly, a guilty look in his eyes.

“Magnus…saved you, by giving up half his lifespan to give to you. It means you two are linked, and if you die, he dies, and vice versa. It also means you two kind of have to be close to one another or you’ll both feel the strain.” He explained. Alec looked at Magnus, an apologetic look in his eyes, but the warlock just smiled sadly. “Hello roomie. I suppose we’ll just have to settle our differences and get over it. We’ve got a long road to go down.”