Hail and Farewell

Jace swung the blade, fast, sharp, but Sebastian was faster. He blocked. He wasn’t tired like Jace was, he wasn’t bloody. He was fresh into battle, and he was winning. A few of his other dark shadowhunters fended of the rest of them – Simon, Alec, Isabelle, Clary, Magnus…they were all fighting. Fighting because they couldn’t back down. Sebastian punched Jace hard across the jaw and for a moment, Jace was confused, disorientated. And then he became aware that his blade was still in his hand. He lunged forward – thrusting the blade out. Sebastian quickly grabbed out, grabbing a fistful of black hair and before Jace knew what he was doing, he was stabbing someone else.

Alec’s face was a look of surprise and pain. He screamed out. The sound was horrifying. It was one of true pain and despair. Everyone stopped fighting, watching. Everyone wore a matching expression of anger, horror, terror. Jace couldn’t believe it. He pulled his hand away immediately. But it was too late. The blade had struck. Alec crumbled. His hands going to his wound where blood was pouring out. Magnus raised to him, grabbing him, pulling his head up onto his lap. Blood was bubbling from Alec’s lips. His eyes were wild, scared. “It hurts…no…no…” he gasped. Jace dropped the bloody weapon. Down onto his knees. He took Alec’s face in his hands, searching his eyes desperately. “Alec…please…look at me. Look at me…please Alec,” he pressed his forehead onto his parabatai’s. “Just heal yourself…please...don’t die. Don’t leave me. Alec. Please.” He was speaking quickly. His best friend’s eyes were hazy, glazing over. “Its…Jace…don’t….it’s okay.” He gritted his teeth against the pain. “I’m not mad.” He told him. “It’s okay. I don’t blame you.” He was smiling, clenching his teeth. “I’m sorry, Alec. Please don’t die.”  he sat back, tears falling down his face. Alec looked up at Magnus, his lips forming loose words that died on his lips. Magnus kissed him tenderly, the warlock’s eyes shining with tears. He brushed Alec’s forehead softly as the shadowhunter reached up, placing a bloody hand on his cheek. It dropped a few seconds later, and Alec’s body went slack.

Magnus looked up at Jace. His look of panic made him look like a small child. The bloody handprint on his face a reminder of the war they were fighting. “He’s gone, Jace.” Magnus croaked. “He’s dead.” Sebastian laughed.

“What a joke, two Lightwoods down. I’m done with all of you. I’ll be back later.” They let him leave, no one could think about hurting him. Their eyes were all fixed on Alec’s body. Jace crawled closer, taking his brother’s face in his hands. He looked peaceful. He remembered once when he’d been sick with fever, Alec had crawled into bed with him. And his face looked just like it had then. Jace kissed his lips softly. They tasted like his blood. He let his tears slide onto Alec’s paling skin. “Hail and farewell…Alexander Lightwood, my brother and only friend in this war against the world. Hail and farewell.” He sobbed, his head resting on Alec’s chest. It didn’t rise and fall like it should have. Jace couldn’t hear his friend’s heartbeat. The searing pain as his parabatai rune bled out was nothing.

He just killed the only man he cared about. He felt like he’d killed himself. He couldn’t imagine a world without Alec. He didn’t want a world without Alec.