Til Death us Do Part

“You’re kidding me.” Alec stared at his mother, and she shook her head.

“Alec, we have to go back. We have to summon Magnus to get us there and back.” She told him. Alec sighed, and looked at his siblings, at Clary. He kicked the wall, and stormed out of the room. Jace shoved his hands into his pockets, “I didn’t think he would be that angry about it.” He commented, before exiting the room himself.

He knocked on Alec’s door, and went in, regardless of whether he wanted him in the room or not. Alec lay on his bed, his head buried in the pillows. “Get out.” Jace heard his muffled voice say. He smiled, and sat down on the bed, poking his parabatai’s back with one socked foot. Alec moaned, and let one hand out to smack Jace one. He grabbed the outstretched arm, and pulled it behind Alec’s back, making him cry out in pain. Jace sat  close to his parabatai’s body. Alec glared at him. “Jace, let me go. I’m not in the mood, okay?” He grumbled. Jace stared at him, and cocked his head. “Want to talk about it?” He asked. Alec shook his head.

“No.” And he cried out again when Jace pulled his arm back a bit more.

“Now, I’ll let go if you talk about it, if you don’t, I’ll break your arm.” He’d broken his arm a few times before, and he knew it wasn’t that much of a big deal to either of them, but he knew it would only piss him off more. “Fine. Just let me go.” So Jace did. And Alec sat up slowly, rubbing his arm.

“What do you want me to say?”

“I want you to tell me why you’re so irritated.”

“I don’t really want to talk to Magnus right now.” He finally said, looking down. Jace crossed his legs, “I really don’t understand what you do want. You’ve called him so many times, and now you say you don’t want to talk? What do you want?” Alec looked down, tucking his legs into his chest.

“I want to be with him again… but Magnus hates me. He’s never going to forgive me, and I just don’t want to make him angrier than he is.” He told him. Jace sighed,

“But he agreed to help us. He agreed to stay with us in Idris. Obviously being with you isn’t going to irritate him if he’s fine with it.” And Alec sighed, shrugging.

“Who knows?”

**    **     **     **     **

Magnus showed up pretty early in the morning, his usually colourfulness toned down so much Alec didn’t recognize him for a moment. As he came down the stairs with Isabelle and Jace, Clary and their parents already in the lobby, the warlock looked away, and distracted himself with a conversation with Jocelyn and Luke. Alec looked down, any confidence he had in fixing whatever went wrong vanished. So he just followed the others out in silence, and watched with disinterest as the portal was open, and even seeing his homeland – something that usually caused him great joy and happiness – didn’t do anything to cheer him up. They were greeted at the wards of Alicante, and they were all let in.

The only thing that changed his indifferent mood was when Magnus didn’t leave once they reached the house they were renting. “Aren’t you leaving?” He’d finally asked as everyone else went inside. Magnus finally looked at him. His stare was cold, and made the young shadowhunter look away. “No. I’m staying with you and your family.” Alec looked down, and simply walked inside.

“I’ll stay out of your way whilst you’re here, I promise.” He told him, turning around and going up one of the double helix stairways. “Don’t change your behaviour on my account.” Magnus called after him, but when Alec went to reply, he had already escaped into one of the other rooms.