I'll Find My Own Bravado

*

I ran down my stairs straight to the door. I knew it was my oldest brother at the door and I had missed him so much. I slid past my mother to open the door.

“Bro!” I jumped on my older brother. I had not seen this guy in such a long time. We had spoken on the phone, but he was busy with work. Come to think of it, he had been a lot busier these past couple of months.

“What’s up little sis?” He replied coolly. I knew deep down inside he was screaming like a little girl. I moved back from the hug. My eyes fell on the young girl standing next to him. My smile slowly melted off my face.

“Who’s that?” I pointed at her. She looked no older but 2. I didn’t like the way she as clinging on his leg I didn’t like. She was too comfortable next to MY older brother.

“This is Charlotte.”

“Charlotte?” I questioned. I had never heard of a Charlotte before.

“Who does she belong to?” I asked. He simply smiled, picking up ‘Charlotte’ as he walked into the house.

“Where’s mum?” He asked walking into the living room. I didn’t have to answer, she was sitting in the living room. I heard her high voice as she greeted him.

“Joseph my King.” I rolled my eyes. What kind of physco greets her sons like that? The greeting I usually got was a ‘hi’ or ‘dinner will be ready in 10’. That’s what I got. I have never gotten a ‘Satiah, my Queen’.

“How have you been? I haven’t seen you since Satiah’s 17th!” Which was about 5 weeks ago. I was really unbothered about my birthday. I stayed in bed watching movies and did a bit of online shopping with the money I had gotten. Joseph was the one who had convinced me to go out with him. He bought me my first alcoholic drink. I went home in a fit of giggles, causing my mother and Joseph to have another argument (as usual), hence why she hadn’t seen him since. It seemed like there was no bad feelings though.

“Who’s this?” My mum asked now also realising the little girl that as in Josephs arms. “She’s cute.” My mum noted. I agreed, but she was too close to MY brother. “She better not be yours.” Mum said as a side comment. Joseph kissed his teeth ignoring her question. He walked a few steps over touching hands with Karl.

“You good bro?” Joseph said. The room felt so small with him in here. He just swallowed the whole room up, both with his deep voice and his height.

“I’m blessed man.” Karl replied. He moved to the side letting Joseph sit next to him. The ‘Charlotte’ creature crawled from Joseph onto Karl. I didn’t like Karl but he was MY brother. What was this thing? Why was she stealing my brother? When did we agree that I wanted to share them? I looked at her waiting to answer these burning questions.  

“Sup Char?” Karl put his hand out. We all watched as she moved her hand to touch his. Joseph and Karl grinned. Karl kissed her and played with her whilst she sat on her lap. I took a seat next to my mum. I wanted questions on who this little girl was.

“Is she yours?” My mother asked Joseph.

“Bitch she might be.” He said under his breath shrugging. I sniggered covering my face. I looked up thinking I had calmed down. I hadn’t. I covered my face again taking deep breaths. When I regained some composure Charlotte was looking at me grinning and my mum was screwing me. I don’t know why both of them were looking at me. I didn’t like either of them.

My mum ignored him. “She looks like you.”

Joseph shrugged. He really wasn’t going to tell mum or me if she was his child. My mum was right though, she looked just like him. She looked like Karl and Paul too. The genes in my family were so strong, all the men looked exactly the same. I looked at the little girl intently. She really did look like she could belong to Joseph. I wouldn’t be surprised either. He wouldn’t tell my mum if she was just to get under her skin. I smiled though. It would be comical if she was his though.