No More Wonderland

No More Wonderland:

*** I haven't written this in about 3 months, sorry for any repeating of information or if something doesn't make sense. Tried to remember what happened in the last chapter. As always, I never spell check (this is 6,500 words lol). Some parts may be a bit rush + sorry for any mistakes xxx

Joseph dropped me home with the devil in the back. She was strapped into her car seat and quiet for the whole ride. This was odd for her. They do say that kids can sense tension though, right?

There wasn't tension between me and Jo, but joint tension as we drove home. By now, no doubt my dad would have called my mum and told her what had happened. And for the first time in a very long time, I didn't know how my mum would react. I didn't know what would happen when I put the key through the door. And from how quiet Joseph was being, he was going into this as blind as I was.

And that made me anxious.

I tried to push back all the horrible scenarios that ran through my head. I shook my head shaking the thoughts of all the things she could say. Would she even say anything? My mum's notorious reaction to everything was putting her head in the sand and pretending that nothing had happened. But that's what this family had done for the past 10 years and the crack was now finally starting to show. The cracks in the foundation of the family were showing and slowly destroying everything.

Jo pulled up outside the house. He squeezed my hand giving me a reassuring smile.

"Do you want me to come in with you?" I shook my head but deep down inside I was screaming YES. I didn't want to go into the dark alone but I didn't want nor need Joe thinking that I depended on him.

He turned to the Devil at the back of the car, who still really hadn't said much. "Do you want to see Grandma, Char?"

"Not really." The Devil replied casually.

"That's a yes then, and that means that you've been overruled Satiah." I gave a weak smile.

"Come on Char, you can tell Grandma that you've been vaccinated and watch her face drop!" None of us kids had been vaccinated as my mother didn't 'believe' in it. It was completely illogical but hey, I wasn't dead yet.

I walked slowly to the door and towards my impending doom.

I put the keys through the door. I could hear my mum clicking and clanking in the kitchen. She must have been making dinner. I stood by the front door unable to move. I was such a coward.

Joseph smiled at me reassuringly, again. He walked in front of me with Char in his hand towards the kitchen. I trailed behind him.

"You alright, mum?" Joseph leaned down to give her a kiss on the head.

"Hi," I said behind Jo. I would use him a human shield. He wouldn't be hurt as he was holding Char in his arms. This little devil was made of vibranium or something.

"How was college today?" Mum asked turning her back, returning to her cooking.

I nodded, still standing behind Jo. I wasn't shaking but my heart constantly dipped every time our eyes met.

"You two hungry. I made some diner."

"Satiah cooked us food" Well, it was that or eat Joseph's 'food'.

"Ok. Tea anyone?" She turned back around and smiled. She was going for the 'nothing had happened' reaction then. I was secretly grateful; I didn't want to do this right now.