50 Shades of Richard.

I walked into college the next day. I timed it precisely that when I walked into college it would exactly be lesson time. That means that I wouldn’t have to stand around waiting for lessons to start, meaning that Jason wouldn’t see me. I walked straight into my art lesson. Even with the way I timed it, I was still the first into my lesson. I walked to the back of the class and sat down. I took out my art things and turned on my I-Pod. My teacher walked in a few seconds after me and said good morning. She asked me where I had been for the past lessons and I just said that I wasn’t feeling too well. She nodded and logged onto her own computer.

I continued to complete my coursework.

The door opened. Everyone walked in. Richard was the first to see me in the back. He gave me a confused look, probably wondering why I wasn’t sitting on our table. My table really, I sat there first after all. He walked towards me. I watched him walk towards me hoping that he was going to wash his hands behind me or something, but instead he sat down on my table.

He was really oblivious to the trouble he was causing me wasn’t he? I looked at him without saying a word. I didn’t know how he was going to react to me, so once again it was better to say and do nothing.

“Jason was looking for you yesterday.” He started, I simply nodded. I was aware. “Did he find you?” I shook my head.

“You okay?” He asked. I nodded with a tight smile. Richard acknowledged my response by nodding as well. He looked back at our original table. Lydia was bending her neck to watch us. When she saw Richard looking at her turned right back around quickly. That was weird. Lydia would usually smile forcibly revealing her small dimple on her right side or something. But she turned really quickly. Did Richard say something to her? Or had Jason’s rumours about my fighting capabilities gotten to her? The second option seemed highly unlikely. Lydia had gone to secondary school with me after all. I dismissed the thoughts, as long as she wasn’t watching my every move then I shouldn’t really be complaining. 

“You okay?” He shrugged. I waited for him to explain. “This UCAS application is giving me a headache.”

“Have you put all your results in?” He nodded.

“I’ve made all my choices as well. I just need to finish this personal statement.”

“At least you’re sending it off so early.” I remembered that with my all my older brother they sent their university application the day it was due in. With my youngest oldest brother, he sent it off 10 minutes before the deadline.

He nodded. I don’t know but I always felt a lot more self-aware around Richard. He just looked more mature than everyone. I felt like I was talking to someone 10 years my senior when I spoke to him. I always had to think about what I was going to say (I did that with everyone, but with him I thought twice). I didn’t fiddle with my hands and I maintained eye contact. I felt like if I didn’t he would scold me for not having proper manners. I think he was very serious and controlled. Well sometimes he was serious. I hadn’t figured him out completely yet. I didn’t know what reaction I would get from him if I said a certain thing. This was exciting and scary at the same time.

“Have you started thinking about your universities yet?”

“It’s a bit early.” I said reminding him that I was only about 2 months into my first year of college.

“I know. But you have you head screwed on tight. I wouldn’t be surprised if you had made your choices already.” I had made my choices already and was thinking about starting my personal statement. But that was only because I was applying for Veterinary course and my application had to be in by October.