Trying To Help (Part 7)

You ran down the sidewalk as fast as you could. You had just watched a story on the news. The only thing that ran through your mind was that it couldn't be true. You turned the corner and gasped in horror. 221B was destroyed. You ran to the door and rushed inside. Debris was everywhere. You climbed over fallen furniture and carefully but quickly made your way up the stairs. The door to Sherlock's flat was open and you slowly peeked inside.
It was a wreck. Dust floated everywhere. The table was broken, the chairs were somehow still in one piece. Your eyes became glassy as you remembered the memories that had taken place in this little flat. You blinked away the tears when you remembered something.

"Sherlock."  You breathed. "Sherlock?  Sherlock!"  You shouted as you rushed around the flat.

You came back into the living room and accidentally tripped over John's chair and collapsed to the ground with a shriek. You just stayed on the floor for a minute. You eventually stood back up and went down the steps.

"Mrs. Hudson!  Are you here?"  You called.

No answer. You sighed in frustration. Nobody was here. You left the place and walked back to your place. You set your purse and phone down on the counter in the kitchen and made yourself some tea. While that was brewing you left the room to grab a few things completely missing that your phone was ringing.
You came back in and grabbed your cup of tea and then heard your phone buzzing. You looked at the name and you felt relief flush through you. It was Sherlock.

"Sherlock?"  You called.

"Yes, y/n. It's me."  He said.

"Thank goodness!  Sherlock you had me so worried and-"

Sherlock cut you off before you could finish though, "Y/n. I need you to help me with something."  He said.

"Okay?  Where are you? I'll meet you there."  You said.

"No!  Umm, I just need you to say these words."  He explained.

"What words?"  You asked confused.

"I need you to say 'I love you.'"  He said.

You became silent and your eyes went wide. Why would he be asking you to say that?  Something must be wrong.  Or maybe he liked you too? 

"Y/n?"  Sherlock called.

"I'm sorry.  I can't."  You said.

"Why not?"  He asked.

"Sherlock, I'm trying to help but I can't do this!  Find something else for me to do."  You begged tears starting to fill your eyes.

"I don't understand. Why?  Why can't you do this?"  He asked.

"Because, Sherlock. It's true."  You said.

"Then say it!"  He seemed to beg.

You took a deep breath. "You say it first. Like you mean it."  You told him.

"I don't-"

"Sherlock!  Just do it." You said.

You could hear him sigh on the other end. "I-love you."  He said. "I love you."  He repeated.

You smiled to yourself and let the tears fall. "I love you."  You whispered.

And then the call ended. There was nothing more. You looked at your phone confused. You set it down and then sat in your chair. You started to cry again. You knew Sherlock didn't mean those words he said. He only said it so that you would. You just imagined it as if he really did. You loved him so much but you knew he would never love you back.  But other events that took place might beg to differ.