Trying To Help (Part 5)

You were so enraged right now. You nearly threw your remote at the TV screen to break it. Culverton Smith literally just admitted to you and anyone else that knew about his favorite room, that he was going to kill Sherlock. You dropped your remote and started tugging at your hair. You let out a scream as you sink to your knees and let the tears pour out. Then you remembered.

"John."  You mumbled to yourself.

You hurried to Scotland Yard to find John. But when you got there he wasn't there.

"Greg!"  You shouted. "Where's John?"  You asked.

"He went to the hospital."  Greg said.

"Did he see Smith and his announcement?"  You asked.

"Yeah he did."  Greg said.

"Alright."  You said and ran back outside.

You hailed a taxi and told him where to go. When you arrived you rushed out after paying the cabbie. You ran down the hallways and to Sherlock's room.

"I'm here to see Sherlock."  You told the man standing in front of the door.

He nodded and opened the door. You walked in and saw John standing there. As you came farther in, you hit something which was followed by a clatter. You looked down and saw John's old walking cane. You stared back up at John teary eyed.

"What is this for?" You asked.

"It's a...well it's a little parting gift." He said.

"John! You can't just let this happen! We can't let this happen." You urged.

He just shook his head. "I can't y/n. I'm done. I've gone through enough with Sherlock. I can't go through anymore. But if you want to help him, be my guest. I won't stop you from doing that." He said and then left.

You huffed and sat down in the chair next to Sherlock's bed. You felt someone poking you and looked up at the nurse.

"Umm, excuse me. Did Dr. Watson leave?" She asked.

"Uh, yeah. Not long ago though." You said.

"Oh okay then." She said almost sadly.

"I can go get him really quickly if you'd like?" You suggested.

"That would be great!" She said.

You ran back down the hallway shouting John's name. He stopped and you caught up with him.

"The nurse needs you for a minute." You said.

John rolled his eyes and went with you back to the room. The nurse handed John the phone and he started talking. You sat back down and stared at Sherlock.
John left and you watched. It took you a minute before you followed him. You jumped into the cab and shut the door. John looked at you, surprised.

"What?" You asked.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I'm coming with you. We're going to 221B right?" You asked.

John eyed you closely and then nodded. The rest of the ride was silent. Neither of you spoke a word. The cab stopped in front of 221B and you both got out.

"I'll pay." You offered and pulled out some money as John rushed inside and up the steps.

You handed the cab driver the money and went inside. You hung your coat up and walked up the steps. When you came up Mrs. Hudson was laughing. She put her hand on John's arm as she continued to laugh.

"I mean, he knows you're an idiot, but that's okay because 'cause you're a lovely doctor." She said and turned to Mycroft. "But he has no idea what an idiot you are!" She exclaimed.

You snorted and tried to hold back the rest of your laughter. Mycroft glared at you and then looked back at Mrs. Hudson.

"Is this merely stream-of-consciousness abuse, or are you attempting to make a point?" He asked annoyedly.

"You want to know what's bothering Sherlock? Easiest thing in the world; anyone can do it." Mrs. Hudson said.

"I know his thought processes better than any other human being, so please try to understand..."

Mrs. Hudson started laughing again interrupting Mycroft. "He's not about thinking, not Sherlock." She said.

"Of course he is." Mycroft protested.

"No, no. He's more...emotional, isn't he?" Mrs. Hudson asked.  "Unsolved case: shoot the wall.  Pew! Pew!"  She said making hand gun gestures towards the wall.

"Unmade breakfast: karate the fridge."  You added swinging your hand in the air like you were chopping something.

"Unanswered question..." She turned to John, "Well, what does he do with anything he can't answer, John, every time?"  She asked.

"He stabs it."  John said and unfolded his arms.

He walked to the Mateo piece where he saw a knife planted in a padded envelope, as Mrs. Hudson made a triumphant gesture.

"Anything he can't find the answer for...bang!..." She said pointing two fingers at the mantelpiece.  "...it's up there. I keep telling him: if he was any good as a detective, I wouldn't need a new mantel."  She said.

John opened the envelope and out slipped a DVD with the words 'Did you miss me?' on it. It was placed into the Tv and turned on. Mary's voice was heard and your face filled with devastation. John stood up and pointed his hand out.

"Okay no. Stop that now, please."  He begged.

You knew what this video was about and you didn't know if Sherlock wanted John to see it. But you didn't do anything. You sat there in Sherlock's chair with your eyes closed, holding back tears. Mrs. Hudson paused the video and stood up.

"Everybody out now!  All of you."  She commanded.

Nobody did anything. John stared out the window and Mrs. Hudson continued.

"This is my house. These are my friends. That is his departed wife and her best friend. Anyone who stays here a minute longer is admitting to me personally they do not have a single spark of human decency."  She said surprising everyone.

They all got out, except for Mycroft. Mrs. Hudson walked right up to him and stared at him straight in the eye.

"Get out of my house, you reptile!"  She exclaimed viciously. 

He stared at her startled but never broke eye contact. Finally, he grabbed his things and left the flat without another word. Mrs. Hudson turned back to the screen and pushed play as John came and sat down in his chair to watch, no matter how painful it would be.