Chapter.19 Headlines

Chapter.19 Headlines times two

Well, unfortunately, I was right about the headlines, only there wasn't just one.

'Palmer gone wild' was in bold on the top of the magazine with a picture of Matt swinging at the paparazzi. He did look crazy and intimidating. I would never want to get on his bad side it I were them. His hair was a mess, his eyes crazed, and his shirt was stained with spots of blood.

The picture below that one was the one I wasn't expecting. It wasn't . . . bad or something that would ruin Matt or me, but it was . . . embarrassing.

'Celeb GF gets a beat down.'

Then below that was a picture of me blacked out on the concrete. I felt almost ashamed that I had been on the cover with my big, ugly eye. Matt, of course, was furious this morning when he saw it. He came early for breakfast so he could drive me in himself, which he never does. I didn't want to say anything, but I was entirely sure he was only driving me in because he felt responsible for everything and he wanted people to see us together so they knew he didn't hit me. I get it, the first look at the headline would make you think that the 'celeb girl friend' was me and the 'beat down' was from Matt, which is just what the paparazzi want you to think to get you to read the rest.

"Nic, you look fine." I looked over to Matt who was staring at me from across the table.

We were at lunch, sitting at the table directly in the middle of the cafe, like we always do so it's harder to get pictures. The commotion had died down almost to the point where Matt and I were old news in school. Of course everyone had already seen the pictures and read the story.

To our school, Matt and I were more like the most popular couple, rather than the celebrity couple. And the stories and pictures about us were more like the school news paper collecting dirt on the students.

We were old news to them . . . except my eye. They all seemed a little too interested in that.

"Sure I do." I said sarcastically, pushing my tray of cold pizza away from me and slumping against my arm. "They're all looking at me!" I said a little louder than

He sighed and rolled his eyes. "Really, you look good. Please don't do this here." He coughed uncomfortable and looked around. "Not here, Nic" He repeated.

"Then where Matt? Alone in my room where no one can hear? What's the point in that if no one can hear me? I want them all to know I know they are looking at me. I want them to stop." I mumbled the last part, meaning it, but knowing it was a far stretch in coming true.

"Just relax. Girls stare. You didn't care before." He pointed out, reaching out for my left over food.

"Before I didn't look like I had a potato growing out of my eye." I hissed.

He choked on the bite of cold pizza he took from laughing. He swallowed and kept laughing. I giggled and forgot about being mad.

"I guess I'll just call you potato face from now on?" He chuckled.

"Guess so." I sighed and my sides hurt from laughing. I was surprised at the sudden change in the atmosphere. Just this morning Matt was beyond mad and I was so insecure I wanted a bag over my head. Now we were lust laughing about everything.

The bell rang for class and everyone got up and took their time leaving the cafe.

"See you after." He said, hugging me.I reached up on my toes to kiss his cheek and he quickly turned his head so I kissed his lips. I laughed and went to pull away, I didn't like PDA I think it's tacky, but he pulled me back.

"Ass." I smiled.

"Yeah, but an ass that can kiss." He smirked.

"Whatever." I laughed, turning to walk out.

"Hey, Nicole?" He asked. Oh God, he used my full name.

"What . . . ?"

"Do you wanna' come over after? Meet my parents?" He shrugged. "I mean you don't have to, but--"

"Yes! I'd love to." I smiled.

"Okay!" He said cheerfully and then calmed himself. "I mean . . . ah . . . cool." He rocked back on his heels and was awkward. I laughed and walked out.

"Shit." I whispered to myself. I was going to be late for Tatum's class. He was strict. I began to run down the hall when all of a sudden I was pushed from behind into the lockers.

"What the hell?!" I shouted as I got up and picked up my bag.

As I turned to look at who pushed me I was surprised I've never seen her before.

"What's your problem?" I asked the stranger.

Her hair was belched so blond that is was almost white, her face looked as if it were spray painted orange and it didn't match the rest of her skin. She was slender, maybe ten pounds heavier than me and her eyes were scary looking and mad.

"I can't believe you!" She shouted, throwing her hands out by her side in anger.

"Can't . . . wait, what?" I huffed, frusterated.

"Oh! You little . . . you know just what you did!" She hissed harshly.

"I don't even know you!" I shouted at her. By now a few teachers had come out of their classes to see what all the screaming was about.

"Is there a problem here ladies?" One of them asked. Students were poking their heads out the doors to catch a glimpse of the action.

The bleched cyco looked at her audience and smiled. She stared at me and charged. I gasped as she flung me back into the lockers and started punching.

I had no other choice but to hit her back, so I did. I managed to push her off of me and onto the floor, but she got back up and threw herself onto me. I kept my eyes open and began hitting her anywhere I could that would get her off. She had to either be on drugs or insane. Maybe both.

She had me pinned when I heard Matt yelling at people to move. I suddenly got really embarrassed. I didn't want him to see me lose a fight. I tired to be keep up a tough front, not tom boy, just so people wouldn't think of me as girly and weak.

I threw her off of me, as Matt got to the front of the chanting crowd, and got up. I fixed my shirt and my hair and huffed. Behind Matt I saw Evan, despratly trying to hold Christina back. If she gotinto this fight she would be suspended for a second strike. She got into a fight last year and lets just say the other girl didn't walk away with the same smile on her face as Christina.  

But this girl was crazy! She ran at me again, only this time Christina got in the middle. I rolled my eyes. I can fight my own fights.

"Christina don't!" I yelled at her, but she had already swung her fit and pounded the girl to the ground. I sighed and she smirked at me.

"I couldn't just watch my best friend get beat up." She shrugged.

"I wasn't. I had it under control and now your going to get suspended." I sighed.

"Don't worry about it." She waved me away. I looked at Evan and he shrugged.

"Sorry, she wouldn't give up." He smiled. I rolled my eyes.

Right when Matt was about to talk to me, someone caught my arm.

"Your coming with me." An angry voice whispered. It was the principal. Mr. Lynch. I was in trouble now. "You too Christina." He said her name like they were old friends, only they no longer got along. She was walked out by the assistant principal behind me.

"Nicole!" Matt called to me. I turned around and mouthed 'tell you later.' He looked unsatisfied, but he let me go.

"Evan!" Christina shouted over everyone, happier than she should have been. "Sorry babe, I had to." She laughed and he smiled at her. Evan walked over to Matt and put his hand on Matt's shoulder to comfort him. I guess they were all good now.

hehehehehhe!

Next part really really soon!