"You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic" A Day To Remember

It's been a while, I've just been busy with school stuff. I'll try and update this more regularly, cause I actually enjoy writing this. :) Anyway, thanks for reading.

--------------------------

“You Be Tails, I’ll Be Sonic” A Day To Remember

I looked to the horizon. The sun was disappearing, it’s rays melting into the royal blueness of the starless night. The water seemed to ripple under the last few rays. The shouts of the kids were far away; some complained to their parents, not wanting to leave the peacefulness of the pier for the home that seemed to suffocate.

I wish I could sit by the edge, my feet dangling carelessly over the water. I just wanted to sit and be peaceful and just… think.

But the stupid railing prevented me- or anyone for that matter- to do that.

I settled for sitting at a bench. I took my shoes off, pressing my bare feet against the wood. I felt loose pieces dig into the bottom of my foot, but it didn’t really bug me. Sure, it’ll hurt like a mother later but right now all I wanted was to relax and forget for a while.

I didn’t want to think. I just wanted to be numb. To be one. To be nothing. That would all be just lovely.

The sun was completely gone now, but there was still some leftover light lingering, trying to illuminate the shadows and failing miserably. The light that was available was casting silhouettes everywhere. Just like any other day by the pier at night it was chilly, causing goosebumps to cover my arms.

“You’ll get a cold if you don’t go soon.”

I wasn’t sure if that was a way of saying that I should leave or just a way to start a conversation. I didn’t actually care, instead I laid my head back and shrugged, hoping the girl would drop it.

Apparently she was against fulfilling my hopes because she took the shrug as an invitation to sit down. Or maybe she didn’t. Maybe she just wanted to sit. Maybe she would have sat even if I hadn’t said anything. It doesn’t really matter, does it?

“Thinking about a girl?”

Her voice wasn’t curious, she already knew. She didn’t care for my answer.

“I’m Dallas.”

“Shae.” She smiled at me but didn’t say anything else.

The silence bugged me. “What brings you here?”

She shrugs, doesn’t say anything for a few everlasting seconds. “Had to think. Had to get away. Needed to be free yet caged.”

“Free and caged?”

“Free and caged.” She repeats and nods, smiling lightly as she leaned back. She looks at me through her thick eyelashes. “Free and caged,” she repeats her words, as if understanding them for the first time.

“That makes no sense,” I say.

She lets out a small, breathless chuckle. “How so?”

“It just doesn’t. Explain it, please enlighten me.”

“I’m free because I can go anywhere I want, anywhere… And I’m caged because I refuse.”

I looked at her, really looked at her. She wasn’t exceptionally pretty. She wasn’t radiant like Katty. She didn’t have any seemingly outstanding qualities. She was herself and that was enough.

I glanced at the sky. Losing myself in the infiniteness. Some stars were showing, their light shining softly over the calm sea. Waves rolled into the shore, the foam mixing with the sand before it drew back and melted with the rest of the endless sea.

I looked at Shae. She must have felt my eyes on her because she opened one and glanced at me, cracking a grin.

“You feeling better?” Her green eyes left no room for lies.

I shrugged, “I’ll be okay.”

It was true. I will be okay. I wasn’t okay now, and I probably wouldn’t be okay for quite some time. But I would be okay…

“Eventually,” she nodded and stood up. “Lovely meeting you Dallas.”

She walked off, disappearing into all the shadows, so that she only became a shadow herself, an outline.

“Bye,” I called. I wasn’t sure if she was far enough to hear me or not. It didn’t matter.

Shae knew.

 --------------

A/N: Ha. I just read the lyrics, and because I didn't understand Jeremy's lyrics I see that the story doesn't match very much, does it? Sorry about that. :)