"Goodnight Goodnight" Maroon 5

Ok, so this is a collection of short stories that were inspired by different songs. 

I edited this on 7/25/13. Not like I changed the whole thing, just added details, etc.

-----------

“Goodnight Goodnight” Maroon 5

I tried not to think too much of how wrong it all was- of how this was the wrong thing to do, and how I, against better judgement, was doing it. Of how I had just set myself up for disaster and regret. All the remorse wanted to bubble over. I was surely destined for Hell.

I looked back at my baby girl. Stella played with her hair and blew bubbles without a care in the world. Her blonde, corkscrew curls bouncing happily around her plump cheeks. Her rose lips, much like her mothers, were parted slightly. She giggled softly, entretained in her thoughts, unaware of what I was about to do.

We drove down bumpy, old, country roads, passing by old houses that seemed to be detoriating and even older trees that seemed to want to fall but stood straight with the pride of mother nature. I felt like the scenery- broken and worn.

All I wanted was to turn around and take Stella home. To tuck her into bed and kiss her goodnight. I didn't want to do this, but I had no choice. I wanted Stella to trust me, and I wanted to tell her about our destination, but I couldn't crush her world- or mine. I couldn't yet say it out loud; I couldn't accept it.

I arrived at our destination. Turning the car into the driveway of a white house with peeling paint. It looked mostly vacant and I couldn't imagine Stella growing up in such a place.

 My lawyer and the devil’s lawyer were already there. I had taken my sweet time getting there, trying to savor my last moments with Stella.

God, I was destined for Hell.

I got out and helped Stella out, “I love you so much, Stella. I’ll come back for you I promise. I’ll be back. Daddy loves you.” I kept whispering sweet nothings. All I could do is give void promises, I had no guarantee that I would ever hold Stella in my arms ever again. I had half a heart to push Stella in the car and drive straight to an airport and to a small cottage in South America or something. But that was impossible and illegal. And If I got caught, I’d for sure never see Stella again. 

The devil walked out, her lips coated in dark red and sneering at me even from the distance. She ignored the lawyers, not even sparing them a glance as she made her way over to Stella and I. The lawyers watched from under the oak tree, silent.

I kissed Stella goodbye on the forehead. And the child, sensing something wrong, held on to me. Her little hands curling around the collar of my shirt. She stared at the woman before us, studying her carefully, I couldn't explain that this was her mother.

“I love you.” I whispered just as the sun set and the pinks, gold’s, and oranges faded into the horizon, leaving behind the royal purples and blues.

“Meet you in Hell.” I muttered as she ripped Stella from my arms and Stella let out a high pitched scream. Stella's little arms reached over, kicking a bit, but not fighting completely. I knew that she already knew it was over for us. I knew that she knew that there was nothing I could do. She stopped reaching and I could hear my heart break.

“I’ll save you a seat.” she grinned, holding Stella tightly ignoring the child's protests against her tight grip. “Goodnight!” she called to our lawyers and I, walking away. Not out of politeness (considering she was in her doorway) but mostly in a way to say ‘get out and don't come back'.

“Stella…” I whispered, my voice being lost in the wind and in my throat. It cracked.

I was destined for Hell.