"Making Love" NeverShoutNever!

“Making Love” NeverShoutNever!

            Deidre’s blood ran cold. She shivered a bit, and turned over, facing Mark. “Mark,” she whispered. Her voice was lost to her ears, her music was too loud.

            Mark glanced at her for a millisecond before he looked back at the TV screen. His brown eyes glowed with the lights of the screen. To Deidre it seemed like he pressed random buttons on the controller, but Mark knew what he was doing. He was winning- almost won the entire game. He was ecstatic.

            “Mark?” Deidre asked again. There was a feeling in her stomach; it was indescribable. It felt wrong; it made her feel sick. She hated it.

            “Hm?” Mark said; it was, sadly, the most he had really spoken to her since he had turned on the video game.

            “Can we talk, or something?” Deidre said, turning down her music only slightly. She loved music. It was like her drug.

            Mark paused the game and turned to her; he didn’t speak. He was waiting for Deidre to speak.

            Deidre cleared her throat, suddenly nervous. It was strange. She’d never felt nervous around Mark before. Everything was simple with Mark, but lately… things had been odd.

            Mark raised one eyebrow and smirked slightly. He pressed his pink lips against Deidre’s chapped ones, applying just a bit of pressure. They enjoyed just being connected like that.

            They pulled away at the same time, and Mark bought Deidre in. “Damn, you’re cold.”

            Deidre sighed, feeling happy about being in Mark’s embrace. This is why she loved Mark so much, she always felt completely safe in his arms. Nothing could harm her when she was with Mark.

            Mark moved away a bit. He offered Deidre a small smile and with his eyes begged. She sighed and turned her music up a bit, not wanting to hear the noise of the game. Mark grinned and unpaused the game; again he started tapping the button.

            Deidre turned up the music a bit more. For a moment there, everything had seemed perfect. Life had seemed normal and simple again. There had no longer been the swirling thoughts of harsh reality coming in. For a moment there had been no pressure. It had just been Mark and her.

            She moved her feet along Mark’s legs, liking the way his warmth warmed her. Without moving his eyes away from the screen, Mark kissed Deidre on the forehead; it was him trying to reassure her.

            Deidre bit her lip and turned around, moving her feet away from Mark. She bought the blankets closer to her chin and shivered a bit. No matter how many blankets, Deidre was always cold.

            She felt her eyes drooping and soon enough she was in an oblivious state.

            Mark paused his game to rub his eyes. The lights from the screen were harsh on his eyes, especially in the darkness. He yawned, realizing he should probably save it and play again tomorrow. He turned off the screen and let the controller gently on the floor. He rolled over in the darkness, and reached for Deidre’s cold body, wrapping his arms around her waist. He settled in the mattress, yawning once again.

            Her earphones were still in and feeling around he found the iPod and took it away, turning off the music.

            He checked what song was playing. He sighed as he noticed the song. Deidre had always told him, ‘This song reminds me of our first time.’

            Mark put the iPod next to his controller and settled back. He resisted the urge to hug Deidre and just fall asleep with her in his arms. Instead, he rolled over, facing the wall and tried to sleep.

            He tried to ignore the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. He tried to ignore the rapid beat of his heart and the shallow breaths.

            All he wanted was to stop loving Deidre. It was all too much- love was too much. He was young- he didn’t want to be in love. He didn’t know what love was.

            “I don’t want to be in love.” Mark whispered into the still air.

            Half of him wanted to get up and leave. The other half wanted to turn around and just hug Deidre and fuck everything else. That hug just wanted to hug Deidre and never let go.

            Instead he remained in the same position he was- his back to Deidre, his eyes restless.

            He knew that soon enough he’d walk away.

            His blood ran cold at the thought.