"A Twist in My Story" Secondhand Serenade

Thanks for reading. Enjoy. :)

--------------------

“A Twist in My Story” Secondhand Serenade

Parker bit his lip as he watched her, she was so beautiful. Looking ever so attentive as she became absorbed in her work. She let her black hair fall over her shoulder, obscuring Parker’s view of her face. He sighed inwardly, and turned to the gray-haired teacher.

“Now how many electrons can Hydrogen hold, again?” he said, answering someone’s question with a question of his own.

Everyone was too absorbed in their own thing. A few kids murmured responses but not loud enough for the teacher to answer.

I saw her lips move as she told her partner the answer. He looked up from where he had been resting his head, and smiled. He slid his notebook over to her and she pushed it back and shook her head, a smile on her face.

I bit my lip, and took out my phone, glancing at the time. Twenty more minutes of seeing the seemingly in love best friends.

The teacher kept talking about… something or other, he walked around the classroom, making fun of a few students. She turned around, facing the teacher. Our eyes met for a split second before they went over my head and to the teacher’s. I stared at her.

Anabelle Etz. The most beautiful girl on the planet.

I was frozen, why couldn’t I just smile or something? That would be better than just… sitting here and staring.

Anabelle turned back around and starting talking to her partner, quietly, of course. Her lips moved but I couldn’t make out the words under the booming voice of the teacher.

I thought the end would never come. I watched as she got up from her seat, and he followed. Anabelle walked out- two people in front of me. I stared at her dark hair as it moved with each step. She turned around to talk to some friends, and I pretended to be absorbed in my friend’s talking.

“Hey, be jealous. He wrote me a song.” she teased lightly.

Her friend smiled, throwing her brown hair out of her face. “Aw.”

Anabelle smiled and rolled her eyes.

I stiffened. He wrote her a song.

Her partner looked over at the brown haired girl and said, “You were in it too, Jenna.”

Jenna smiled and said, “Why thank you, sir.” She did a small bow.

Anabelle waved as she entered her next classroom.

He had written her a song. I needed to get a move on with Anabelle. I liked her, she was in every single thought I ever had.

I watched as Anabelle walked, her pace seemed rhythmic and the way she walked was enchanting.

“Anabelle…?” I called, my voice hoarse.

She turned, our eyes met, and she raised her eyebrows, “Parker?”

“Hi.” I breathed. Mentally, I slapped myself. Hi? Was that the best I could do?

“Hey.” she answered. We started walking again, side by side.

“How are you?” I said, it even sounded stupid in my head.

She smiled, “I’m okay… You?”

“Eh.” I said.

She nodded as if she understood. I took her in, she was a good foot shorter than me, and her gray eyes were deep. She was definitely great.

The conversation- if you could call it that- reached an lull. Suddenly she glanced at me, “You always listen to music. What type of music do you like?”

“Rock, alternative, a bit of indie. You?” I said, smiling and hoping she didn’t listen to pop crap. I inwardly sighed, glad she had sparked the conversation further.

“Alternative mostly.” she nodded. “Although I have a secret weakness for Classic Rock and heavy metal.”

I smiled at that, trying to imagine the sweetest girl, Anabelle, head banging. I couldn’t. I let out a small laugh. She looked at me quizzically and I said, “Trying to imagine you head banging.”

She laughed along. Her laugh was like a tinkling bell. I stopped and she continued to laugh. Soon enough she stopped and looked up at me. “Parker?”

“Anabelle.” I said whispered roughly. I reached down, touching her porcelain skin and brushing her cheek. “Anabelle.” I lowered my head, making sure to make eye contact. Her eyes were searching, looking for some hidden truth of some sort.

“Parker…” she whispered. I was now only centimeters away. My heart rate accelerated and I felt her heartbeat quicken too. I was now a hair away from her lips.

“Say no and I’ll stop.” I whispered.

She stared right back at me.

Our lips met and it was euphoric. It lasted about three seconds before she pulled away, she was red in the face and her eyes seemed lost. “I’m sorry…” she looked past me.

“Huh?” I said, confused.

“It was a mistake… I understand.” she mumbled as she started walking away.

“Anabelle!” I called after her.

“I’ll see you around, Parker.” she raised her hand as a goodbye.

I raised two fingers up to my lips. My head still buzzed.