"Pictures of You" The Last Goodnight

Really short. Sorry...

------------

“Pictures of You” The Last Goodnight

My weathered hands shook as I flipped through my photo album. Living in a home was pretty depressing. But I loved the loneliness at times like this- on my wedding anniversary. I wish it could be spent with the love of my life but he was now my guardian angel. He was needed, I understood. But I wish I could join him already. I missed him so much. I was surprised that I hadn’t yet died of heartbreak. He was the only one I remembered. They kept telling me I had “Alzheimer’s” but I wasn’t sure what that was. I flipped through the old and yellowed album, just like my wedding dress that hanged on a hook on the wall. I smiled at the conservative cut, I was so old-fashioned. I had wanted something with lace but had gotten my mother’s… I had been sad and he had noticed. He had called me beautiful and for the first time I believed him. Anything to do with him I could remember instantly. Absolutely anything. I smiled at all the tender memories. A lady dressed in white came in, “Missus, I’m here to take you down to dinner.”

I nodded and said in my unused voice, “Set my clothes out for tomorrow. All black.”

“Are you sure, ma’am?”

I nodded. Tomorrow would be decade. September 11, 2011. A decade since my loving husband had died. Tomorrow I hoped to join him.

I had kept him waiting long enough.