"Pieces" Sum 41

I had an earlier scene derived from this song. But I didn't like it and I didn't feel it really fit the song. So I re-did it. Hope you like it. :)

-------------

“Pieces” Sum 41

            I walked to school purposefully. Today was the day… It was odd; to be happy for something everyone was going to bitch out at me for. But for once, I was doing what I wanted. I was going to let go and not care.

            I neared the school and my heart dropped to my stomach. All the courage I had felt seemed to slip through my fingers like water. My throat and mouth felt like they’d been scratched with sandpaper.

            “Hey, Jill,” Charlie said as he slung an arm over my shoulder. “What’s up, babe?”

            That got me a bit. I hated it when he called me babe. I hated it when he slung his arm around me like I was some sort of prize.

            I shrugged off a bit, “Nothing.” I looked around, trying to find a way to escape this.

            Charlie, clearly not happy, frowned. “What’s with you?” His tone was accusing, as if I’d been cheating or something. No, that was him. He was the reason that this relationship was already going down the drain.

            “With me?” I snapped.

            “Yes,” Charlie’s eyes clouded over with a bit of rage and confusion. I took a step back, Charlie had never hurt me before but he could. He took a step closer. “What the fuck is with you, Jillian?” His words held an undertone.

            “Nothing, nothing… just…” This was the part where I could say ‘girl things’ or where I could stop being a coward and just break things off. Once I did everything would be bad, yes, but slowly things would go back to normal. I could move on. I could be free.

            “Just what?” Charlie said, sensing my hesitation. He knew where I was going with it. He knew there were two choices. He was willing to turn the blind eye if I chose the right thing… If I didn’t though, I knew I was screwed.

            But I couldn’t take it. I needed out.

            “Charlie, I think…” How do I phrase it? I had never had an opinion in the relationship. Everything had been centered around Charlie. Charlie took another step closer, probably expecting me to back away and take it all back. I wanted to, God knew I wanted to. “I need some space.”

            I was referring to both his close proximity and our relationship. Charlie took a step back, his eyes returned to their dull stare, probably expecting that to be it.

            “I mean,” I continued, knowing I was stepping in treacherous waters. “I think we should break up.”

            He punched the locker next to me as his eyes clouded over in hatred. “What the fuck, Jill? Who have you been sleeping with?”

            “No one!” I snapped, crossing my arms. “This is why, Charlie! It’s all about you! I need some space.” Stupidly enough, I pushed him back.

            Charlie didn’t even move. “Look, bitch.”

            “No!” I screamed, by now everyone was looking at us. “Listen here, you. It’s over. Okay? I need space. I need a break. I need to be on my own, okay? I’m not fucking cheating on you. I’m not some whore. I just need to be on my own.” I had calmed down a bit. I sighed. “Sorry, Charlie… it just wasn’t working out.”

            I felt protected a bit. Charlie wouldn’t hurt me in front of all these people.

            So I pushed past him and walked away.

            It felt like I was floating.