"Bittersweet Memories" Bullet For My Valentine

“Bittersweet Memories” Bullet For My Valentine

            “I love her,” he told me. Looking past my eyes and to the periwinkle blue wall behind me. “I’m so sorry, Ann. I just… I’m sorry.” Kyle looked up to meet my eyes, he offered me a sympathetic smile. “I should have told you before.”

            I nodded, “You should have told me before.” My voice was cold and emotionless, inside though it was as if a tornado had hit. I was destroyed. How could Kyle do this to me? “Kyle.”

            “Ann, I’m sorry. I truly am. If I could go back and change things… I would.” He sounded truly sorry.

            I nodded and bit my lip, my tooth bit into the soft skin of my lips. My tooth drew blood. “Shit.” I mumbled, wiping away the stream of red blood.

            Kyle’s eyes widened. He hurriedly wiped it away with his long sleeve. At his touch, my whole body seemed to be electrified. His touch made my skin break out in goose bumps and shake a bit. I moved away from his warm touch. “I got it.” I muttered pathetically; emotion finally seeping into my words.

            He nodded and stood up. “I guess I should go Ann.”

            I nodded and looked down, willing the tears to be held in till he was gone. “Bye, Kyle.”

            “Bye, Ann. I really am sorry… It’s all my fault.”

            “It is.” But he didn’t hear me, he was already gone.

*

           “Kyle!” I screamed into the air. The fire burned higher still, roaring with the wind.

            “Ann.” My father said reassuringly, holding me tightly from behind.

            I struggled against his grip; I had to get closer to the burning house. I had to save Kyle. He was in there. “Let go!” I screamed, wriggling against his stronghold.

            “Stop, Ann. He’s gone, he’s gone, baby.” My dad said, his last words interrupted as he let out a sob out.

            “He’s in there! Kyle’s in there, dad! He loves me! Let me go!” With every sob more words came out. They were garbled messes; pleads that were unheard.

            “Ann, baby.” My dad sobbed, his hold on me had loosened the smallest fraction. The tears had weakened him slightly.

            I stopped struggling as the roof caved in. “He’s gone, dad! Kyle’s gone!” My dad released me and I fell to the floor in a messy heap. I stared at the mesmerizing fire. “He’s gone, dad. Kyle…” My voice wasn’t heard, it had been stopped by the massive lump in my throat.

            “Kyle’s gone.” Dad said; his voice held pity.

            I looked at the firemen who refused to give up. “He’s dead!” I called to them. “You can’t save him! He’s dead!” They didn’t even look at me. I turned to my dad, “Why are they fighting, he’s dead!”

            “I know, baby, I know.” He murmured; his voice soft as he knelt down next to me and stroked my hair. “I’m so, so, so sorry.”

            “It’s not your fault, dad. It’s not your fault.” I cried softly.

            He set his hands in his face and cried for a bit as I stared at the yellow flames dance as the black smoke rose and darkened the night more.

            “Ann, we should go. You shouldn’t see this.” Dad’s voice was calm now.

            I shook my head slowly. “No, I have to.” I watched as the red of the flames sparked, it made everything seemed brighter. It was evil.

            “He’s gone, let’s just go.” Dad pleaded with me.

            “He’s here, dad. He loves me.” I said as if in a trance as the tears kept falling.

            “He’s gone, Ann. He’s gone.” My dad seemed closed to tears; he loved Kyle, Kyle was his star player.

            “He’s here, dad. Please…” I begged.

            “Ann.” He said; his resolved crumbling. He started to walk away, towards the firemen who were slowly giving up as the flames turned everything to ashes despite the steady cascade of water and foam falling on it.

            I watched the flames move harmoniously. Their beauty was evil. I watched as the black smoke rose slowly, swirling above the house that was turning to ashes. It swirled slowly, making everything seem surreal and majestic- as if in a dream.

            If only it were a dream.

            Kyle rose out, his shadow in the smoke, I gasped. “Kyle!” I shouted happily as I stood up on shaky legs. “Kyle! You’re alive!” I screamed again, running towards the house.

            “Stop her!” Someone cried in the back of my mind.

            Then I hit the ground with a sick thud. “Kyle…” I gasped as I rolled over in pain.

            It’s okay Ann. It’s okay.