"Your Song" Ellie Goulding

“Your Song” Ellie Goulding

            I fidgeted in my seat a bit. I felt a bit awkward, knowing that I felt this way. I had come to the realization yesterday as I laid in bed. It had come to me suddenly, without any warning.        

            “Everything okay, Evie?” James asked, his eyes were clouded over with concern.

            I nodded quickly, “Fine. Sorry, I just spaced out a bit…”

            “I noticed,” James chuckled and smiled warmly. “So how’s school?”

            I nodded, “Good. It’s going good.”

            James nodded, “Are you really okay, Eve?” His eyes were worried, a thin crease formed between his eyebrows. He grabbed my hand from over the table.

            I felt electricity running through my veins. “I’m fine, really, James.” I smiled, I was better than fine, really.

            He bit his full, pink lip and chewed on it a bit. He removed his hand from mine and I frowned a bit at the coldness. He grabbed his mug and took a sip of his coffee. He studied me over the rim of his cup and I fidgeted under his gaze.

            “Why are you lying, Eve?” He asked me.

            I shifted uncomfortably and set my hands against my mug, liking the way the warmness relaxed me. “I’m not, lying, really.” I giggled a bit. “I’m fine… I’m glad… We’re here… together…”

            James nodded, “I’m glad for that, too.” He looked deep in thought.

            “Are you?” Insecurities fluttered inside me.

            “Of course,” he muttered and offered me a half-hearted smile. “I’m always glad to be around you, Evie.” He looked like he wanted to add more, but he didn’t and my heart fluttered a bit. “Eve?” He said after a few minutes of thoughtful silence. I nodded quickly, eager to hear his voice. James smiled at my enthusiasm, “I really am glad… that we’re… here together.”

            My face broke out into a grin, “I’m glad too.”

            He blushed and looked down, before looking back up through thick eyelashes that would be considered wasted on a boy- but nothing could ever be wasted on beautiful man like James. He smiled slightly before looking down and away.

            I couldn’t help the grin that spread on my thin lips. Suddenly, I heard myself saying those three words that maybe I shouldn’t have. “I love you.”

            They were a whisper. They traveled in our booth, reaching his ears.

            He didn’t respond or react.

            I felt my stomach bubble with panic.

            It was too soon! I knew it!

            It was too damn soon!

            Then he said those three words back. It amazed me. His voice was clear and unwavering. His eyes were unclouded and loving. His smile was dazzling.

            Everything about him was perfection in those moments.

            We were perfection.

            “I love you, too.”

            My heart seemed to swell.