"King Rat" Modest Mouse

I felt the song fit well enough. It's a cool song.

Enjoy. :)

--------------------

"King Rat" Modest Mouse

Devin held his phone, wondering if he should text her or not. She had given him her phone number for a reason, right?

But it was just yesterday that they had met and he didn’t want to be desperate. Although he was, but he didn’t want her to know that he was desperate. He bit his lip and chewed on the inside of his cheek as he sat on his bed debating all the possibilities.

He remembered the way their bodies had fit so perfectly as they danced together. It had definitely been a great night, he knew that much, so why not text her? He typed a simple message. Hey(: Simple enough. His hand hovered over the send button. He wanted to talk to Melissa again. He wanted to know that she wasn’t just some drunk dream. That she existed. Well, then again, the sharpie on his hand was prove of that- but still.

He pressed the button before he could back out.

He swallowed, staring at the phone, waiting for the new message icon to pop up. When it did, he was quick to open it.

Who’s this?

He blushed uncontrollably and thanked his lucky stars that he was all alone.

His calloused fingers brushed over the keys on his cell phone, typing his reply. Devin. Oh shoot I forgot that you didn’t have my number already! Lol

He didn’t hesitate to click the send button this time. He smiled, Melissa was probably reading his message, smiling maybe, and remembering last night. Remembering all the bliss they had experienced last night.

One New Message: Melissa popped up on his screen. He was quick to open, his heart racing at just the thought of Melissa’s perfect blonde hair and green eyes that shone under the lights from the party they had been at.

Then it sank, falling to his toes. It felt like a brick. His body was a boat and his heart was a too heavy anchor that had been dropped accidentally.

Um, I think you have the wrong number.

He looked at the number on the screen and on his hand. It was the same number. Maybe Melissa just didn’t want to talk to him? Maybe Melissa was just a dream? Maybe Melissa had purposefully given him the wrong number?

Quickly, he type a reply, a simple Oh sorry!

If it was a stranger he just wanted to pretend that he had realized his mistake- that he had somehow messed up the numbers. But if it was Melissa he just wanted to let her know that he was sorry that he ever bothered to be a friend… to get to know her. But most of all, that he was sorry that he had fallen for her. A blonde, green-eyed she-devil. Someone who obviously didn’t care.

The stranger never did text back.

But Devin couldn’t help but stare at the dark screen of his phone, hoping that Melissa might text him. Even if Melissa didn’t even have his number…