"She's Got You High" Mumm-Ra

This song is great. Probably their most well-known song. Go listen to it. :)

---------------

“She’s Got You High” Mumm-Ra

            Harriet searched through her backpack for a pencil; she grabbed one and pressed at the top- no lead.

            “Luke?” Harriet asked, her voice timid as she spoke to the boy sitting next to her. Luke looked up from his English notes, his eyes clouded over, and he made a sound of recognition. “Can I borrow a pencil?”

            Luke nodded, turning back to the teacher who was rambling on and on about John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. Sure, the book was good but there was only so much one could listen to a high-pitched squeal talk about how childish and animalistic Lennie was. It was rather annoying. Luke pealed his eyes away from the redhead teacher and glanced at Harriet. He handed over his own yellow, wood pencil.

            Harriet gave him a smile, “Thanks.”

            He nodded and looked back at the teacher. “Write in your notes about Lennie imitating George.” Luke looked down, realizing his pencil was no longer in his hand; meanwhile Harriet scribbled on the college-ruled paper.

            Luke glanced at her, “Hey, you have a pencil?”

            Harriet smile wide, “Are you kidding?”

            Luke shook his head, and whispered, “Why?”

            Harriet’s smile grew, “This is yours.”

            “Oh, thanks.” Luke took the pencil from Harriet’s hand, which caused Harriet to giggle a bit. “You said I could borrow it.”

            Luke bit his lip and looked at the girl before him, as if realizing she was there. “Harriet?”

            Harriet’s green eyes studied Luke in the brightness and whiteness of the classroom. “Mm?”

            Luke shrugged, “You can have the pencil.” Luke’s voice was hoarse and he tried clearing his throat, ignoring the wild dragons flying around in his stomach. “I’ve read this before.” Luke lowered his voice and leaned in a bit, “Plus, the information she’s giving is quite easy to see, either way, right?”

            Harriet smiled and took the pencil, “She’s not a very good teacher.”

            Luke nodded, “Not at all.”

            “She’s stupid.” Harriet added.

            Luke nodded in agreement, “Very, actually. Like if you don’t know how to spell falsely there is an issue.”

            Harriet smiled and handed Luke his pencil, “I don’t think I’ll be taking notes.”

            Luke took the pencil, his fingers slightly brushing Harriet’s pale skin, their eyes met for a split moment and Luke’s stomach dropped to the floor; his throat tightened, making it impossible to breathe. Warmness passed over him, leaving him on cloud nine. He felt happy, impossibly happy- almost too happy for his own good.

            “Harriet?” He managed to say; his stomach was no longer being attacked by dragons, instead it seemed as if a bunch of dragonflies were flying about daintily but with a sting. Harriet looked over and smiled at Luke. Her smile was heart-warming and made Luke feel completely at ease. “Would you like to go to the movies or something?”

            Harriet’s eyes widened only the smallest amount, but she didn’t speak.

            “Like on Friday?” Luke couldn’t help but add, still holding on to the smallest amount of hope. It was like he was a kid and Harriet was a balloon floating away slowly and easily up into the air, and the kid was jumping everywhere, hoping to catch the string, but it was slipping through his fingers…

            “Yes.”