"Goodnight Moon" Go Radio

Freakin' amazing song. Like, it makes me cry- it's that good. Great band, almost makes me a bit glad that he left Mayday Parade.

-------

“Goodnight Moon” Go Radio

Leigh congratulated her best friend, Xavier, as they walked down the street that was littered with leaves. Kids ran about, yelling and screaming and enjoying the Harvest Festival, and making Leigh happy she wasn’t the girl that had ended up pregnant in high school. “So, who’s the girl, again?” Leigh asked, stepping deliberately on a leaf, and smiling when she heard the satisfying crunch.

“Oh, you’ll love her.” Xavier smiled, looking down at Leigh’s petite figure. “You don’t think it’s sudden, do you?”

Considering your best friend has never met the girl… She thought, “How long have you known her? It is marriage after all.”

“Oh, that’s not important. It feels like forever.” his smile grew, and he looked away. He slipped his sunglasses on, shading his dark brown eyes.

“Are you really proposing, Xavier, or are you just… messing with me?” Leigh asked, the proposal had come out of nowhere. Maybe he was just messing around.

“Can’t a guy get married?”

“Whatever.” was Leigh’s simple answer. They walked a few moments in silence. “So, what’s her name?”

Xavier’s smile grew. She could bet his eyes were laughing at her. “You’ll see.”

“When will I see?” Leigh asked, getting annoyed and fed up.

“Soon.” he answered.

“You’re annoying- and crazy.” she added the last part as an after thought.

“She loves that about me.” his smile was like a Cheshire Cat’s.

“Does she, now?” Leigh raised an eyebrow.

“Yes, she does.” he said confidently. Leigh rolled her eyes and Xavier smirked.

----

Leigh’s birthday was coming up, but seeing as they were in college she wasn’t really doing anything.

“Hey,” Xavier said the morning of Leigh’s birthday as they laid on the fields the campus had. “Twenty-two, right?”

“Yes, sir.” she said, and rolled over.

Xavier propped himself up on his elbow, resting his head on his hand. “And what are we doing?”

“Beats me.” she mumbled.

“Dinner?”

“Best offer I’ve gotten.” she smiled, and nodded.

----

Xavier was a fast driver. A rather careless and reckless driver. Leigh was glad it was dark out, that way Leigh didn’t have to see the landscape blurring past. It was all dark.

The restaurant was nice. It wasn’t fancy, but it wasn’t like a fast food joint either. They ordered and ate- chatting about anything and nothing. Eventually the topic of Xavier’s proposal came up. And every question that Leigh asked was answered with a you’ll see and a smirk. Leigh was fuming. She didn’t understand why he wouldn’t tell her. They’d been best friends for years- the least he could do is tell her who he wanted to live the rest of his life with, right?

Dessert rolled around and Leigh tried not to show too much of her anger. He could tell, and ordered her a coffee sundae, which Leigh had once said could fix anything. The waitress who had bought the dessert came over and whispered something in Xavier’s ear. His smirk grew. Leigh glared, “I swear, Xavier, if they sing-”

She was caught off by clapping and singing. “Happy, happy birthday! May all your dreams come true!” They set balloons and a wrapped present down.

Throughout the song, Leigh glared at Xavier. The end came after what seemed like an eternity of people staring over at them. She toyed with the present and looked at Xavier, “So, is this from you?”

“Yes, ma’am.” he said. His smirk was still on his face. “Open it.”

“Here?” she said, doubtfully.

“Here.” he answered, he got out of his booth and into her booth. “Open it.”

“I swear, Xavier.” She glanced at him.

“Just do it.” Xavier said, rolling his eyes and giving her a small push. Seeing Leigh’s hesitations, he added, “It’s not sex toys or anything.”

She rolled her eyes but tore the paper away. Inside was a children’s book, Goodnight Moon. She breathed the title out.

“Open it.” Xavier’s breath was hot in her ear, and a shiver ran down her spine.

She started reading it, flipping page after page. Xavier read over her shoulder. She stopped as she reached the last page. Xavier’s smile grew, his dark brown eyes shone.

In Sharpie, someone had written something on the last page.

“Will you marry me?” Leigh whispered as she traced the writing with two fingers.

She looked up to meet Xavier’s eager eyes. He was smiling broadly, love and confidence radiating from him. Leigh leaned in and met his pink lips with her own plump ones. They kissed for a few moments before she pulled away and whispered, “Yes…”