Chapter 21.

Delilah's POV

I walked up the familiar garden path, butterflies filling my gut with each step I took. I took one last deep breath before knocking on the door. I could hear ruffling inside the house and the door suddenly swung open.

"Hey baby." Riley gushed, gripping me in a tight hug.

"Hey." I replied, my arms to limp to hug back.

"What did you want to talk about?" He said inviting me in.

"Well, um..." I started, scratching my head trying to think.

"Do you want a drink?" He said cutting me off.

"No thanks."

"Food?"

"I'm good thanks."

"Okay suit yourself." He said as he walked back in with a packet of crisps in one hand a glass of coke in the other. "Anyway, what were you saying?"

"I was saying, well um..." I took a deep breath before continuing. "You know Harry?" I asked, ashamed to look at him.

"Yeah, I hate him."

"I know." I chuckled nervously.

"If this is about you adding him on Facebook I don't care."

"You know?" I asked confused.

"Yeah, I'm allowed to check my girlfriends Facebook aren't I?"

"Yeah, sure." I replied fidgeting in my seat.

"Was there anything else?" He said while flicking on the TV.

"Um, no. No, that was it." I lied but I couldn't face breaking his heart.

"You sounded urgent on the phone, are you sure?"

"Yeah, sure." I repeated.

"Glad that's sorted then, I thought I was in trouble or something." He joked.

"I have to go." I said quickly.

"But you just got here." He whined like a puppy.

"I know but my parents want me home." I lied; they didn't even know I was out.

"Okay, I guess I can let you go." He replied jumping off the couch.

"See you soon." I replied before walking into the hallway.

"Where's my kiss?"

"Oh sorry." I said a little uneasy.

"Are you sure you're alright?"

"I'm fine, don't worry." I lied again. I gave him a quick peck on the lips before leaving. I heard the front door slam behind me, I could finally breath again, but it wasn't because of relief but because I was out of there. I can't believe I just did that to Riley but I don't want to hurt him. Although someone in the end is going to have to get hurt if the truth is ever revealed.

I decided not to head straight home, instead I walked into town. The air was blowing the cobwebs out of my ears and the thoughts of guilt out of my mind. I walked past the same hair salon 5 times before going in.

"Hello dear, can I help you?"

"I don't have an appointment." I replied to the middle aged woman behind the counter.

"That's alright hun; we're not very busy at the moment."

"Oh okay."

"If you just take a seat over there someone will be with you in a minute." She finished. I walked over to the set of chairs she had previously pointed at. I opened one of the magazines that was lying around on the table. The first page was filled with celebrities I had never heard of and what the heck was; The Only Way Is Essex? I closed the magazine and slung it back on the table. I picked up a folded newspaper and flicked straight to the crossword puzzle page. I also had a knack at brain teasers so this would be something to get my mind of recent events. The first word has six letters, the fifth letter was 't' and it was described as; blameworthy, found at fault. I knew the answer straight away, I sunk into the chair as I pressed down my pen hard onto the paper tearing it slightly but the word; GUILTY, was still eligible. Was this ever going to be over?

"Hi, I'm Hayley." A young woman who looked in her young twenties spoke to me. I couldn't help but noticed her tattoo on her arm; it was the Blink-182 bunny.

"I'm Delilah." I said standing up and following her to a chair.

"So what can I help you with? You hair is so long and the colour is lush."

"Yeah, so basically I want my hair shorter and not purple anymore."

"Wow big change. Any specific colour?"

"Dark brown." I replied fiddling with my hair.

"How short do you want it?" She asked combing through my hair.

"Just past my shoulders." I breathed out.

"Are you sure?"

"Definitely." I said before following her to the sink so she could dye my hair. I never liked the smell of hair dye but the stuff they use in salons definitely smells better than the stuff you get in a box.

"Your hair is so thick and long, why do you want it cut?"

"It's been long for years, I'm sick of it and I only had it long because of my mum." I admitted.

"She's not gonna come storming in here shouting at me after I cut your hair is she?" She asked actually sounding worried.

"No don't worry, she'll have a hissy fit at me but then realise there's nothing she can do about it."

"Ah, alright then."

"Are you sure you're ready to say goodbye to your long hair?" She asked again.

"Yes, please just do it before I change my mind." I joked.

"Okay, here we go." She replied. I could hear the scissors doing their job. I didn't dare look in the mirror instead I looked at the floor. I could see massive locks falling to the floor, it did upset me at first but this was the first stage of a different me. I didn't know how else I would change but this felt like it needed to be done and anyway the purple was annoying, it would always wash out even more every time I showered. I know Riley liked my purple hair but he liked me before the purple.

"Are you ready to look?" Hayley said as she finished combing out the last little flaws in my new hair.

"Ready as I'll ever be." I replied before looking up. I was in absolute aw. I looked so different but I loved it.

"So?" She asked eager for my response.

"I love it! Thank you so much." I gushed.

"Phew. Thank God for that, for a moment I thought you were gonna break down in tears." She joked, I laughed back with her.

"No, no. It's just weird looking at me, I look so different."

"It suits you so well."

"Thank you."

I said goodbye to Hayley and paid the woman at the counter before leaving. The wind gradually swept my new hair behind my head whilst it blew in the wind. My hair felt so much lighter and so much more free. As I walked home I contemplated on what my mum's reaction would be. I should have been her ideal daughter, I should have been the blue eyed blonde haired Barbie girl she always dreamed of having but I was the complete opposite. My dad wouldn't care how I looked, he just wants me to be happy in life, except for the fact he won't let me become an artist. That reminded me, in a few weeks my art work would be in an exhibition, this could be the start of something, I hope.

"What the hell have you done to your hair?!" My mum screamed as I walked into the kitchen.

"I haven't done anything." I joked but it was practically true, the hairdresser did.

"How could you cut your hair?"

"Because I wanted to do, you can't control me, I don't tell you not to cut your hair." I argued back whilst getting a Capri-Sun from the fridge.

"The colour looks nice." She replied huffing and shutting up afterwards. I walked out of the kitchen and up to my bedroom where I would probably spend the remainder of my day as usual since there is nothing interesting to do around here. Charles followed me up the stairs and plonked himself on the bed and slept peacefully even though I had my music on full blast.

You guys like her new hair? It's based of Tay Jardine who's in the picture and also the singer in today's song choice :3