Chapter 10.

Delilah's POV

"Can you pass the potatoes please Hunny?" Harry's mum asked me. I placed my fork on the table without creating a scene and passed her the bowl of potatoes. "I have to say this food is delightful." She went on to speak to my parents. I zoned out and concentrated on the orange vegetable on the end of my fork. I hated carrots, they taste like dirt. How would I know this? I used to make mud pies when I was younger.

"Delilah, don't play with your food." My mother snapped at me. I turned my attention towards her and noticed everyone at the table was now staring at me. I placed the carrot back down and eventually everyone resumed their previous conversations with one another.

"So Delilah, what do you want to do when you grow up and leave school?" Harry's dad asked, turning the conversation back to me. I looked at my parents; they had pleading faces sketched onto their skin.

"Um, I want to be a lawyer or an accountant." I said politely, lying through my teeth. I wanted to be an artist, someone who lives life not knowing when their next income is and living life on the edge, however my parents obviously don't approve. I noticed Harry scrunch his face up at me, he knew I was lying but his parents seem to buy it.

"Oh, an academic. Harry here wants to be a singer." His mum said. I couldn't imagine Harry singing, in fact it made me giggle slightly. I never giggled but I couldn't stop it coming out. My mum kicked me under the table and gave me an evil glare. I just rolled my eyes at her and stabbed my swede with my fork. I could tell Harry didn't want to be here, I watched him out of the corner of my eye playing with his food too, I noticed how is parents didn't tell him off.

"Any good at singing boy?" My dad asked, sounding like an old man. I zoned out again ignoring the conversation taking place in front of my face.

"Delilah? Delilah? DELILAH?!" My mum snapped at me. I broke out of my trance and noticed several eyes fixed on me.

"Huh?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Mrs Styles just asked you a question." She said as calmly as she could.

"Sorry, I was miles away." I admitted.

"It's okay I was just asking whether you had a date to the winter formal." She said, taking me by surprise. I could feel the tint lighten up my cheeks.

"I don't go to the school dances." I said, turning my gaze towards my plate again.

"Why not? I'm sure you have all the boys begging you to go." She said seriously. I couldn't help but laugh properly this time earning me another kick from my mum. I even saw Harry grinning, he clearly thought it was funny too.

"I don't like dancing." I said merely, ignoring the other comment made.

"You don't have to dance, I'm sure you'd have fun. School dances are great, aren't they Harry?" She asked looking at her son now.

"Yeah, sure." He said totally uninterested.

"You really need to get out and socialise with your school friends Delilah, it is your last year of school." My mum said joining the conversation.

"Fine, whatever." I said, still no intention of going.

"Harry hasn't got a date yet, why don't you go together?" His mum said, startling Harry and making me practically choke on my food. Oh urm, maybe because your son is the schools biggest jerk who has girls hanging off every finger just to be his friend, he hates me, I hate him and I've been the victim of his vile jokes for the past 4 years, I thought. If I said that aloud I'm pretty sure my mum would have done a lot more than just kick me under the table.