// CHAPTER FIFTY ONE //

Matty's P.O.V

It's been weeks. If I thought I was in a mess before, it was nothing compared to this. George says to let it go, nobody's perfect. But I can see the judgement in his eyes. As for Hann, he doesn't even try to hide his disgust for me; I can't even remember the last time we had a conversation. Ross has always been a man of few words, but they're becoming less frequent. I did explain to them, that I needed the pain-numbing abilities of drugs, that I did what I had to do to get it. I think they understand what I did and why I did it, but not why I could hurt Avery so much. I don't understand either. The worst part is having to pretend to the press, the fans, and the rest of the world that we're fine, that we couldn't be any better in our quartet of friendship. It's all my fault.

It's the heroin that caused this, but the ironic thing is I'm not addicted. I never was. It's the coke. It's always been the coke, ever since I was 18 and she came onto the scene and fucked my life up for good. I think that's what annoys me the most about all of this. That I was dabbling with heroin to try to get off coke, hence why Ross had invited Sophie to Idaho in the first place.

 I'm destroying myself. I know it. 

I text her once. I just asked her to call me, to let me explain. But nothing. George told me to leave her alone, that if she wants to come back she will. I'm trying. I'm trying so hard to forget her, to let her move on. But I can't. I just want her to be happy, and I think that's only going to happen if she lives her life without me.

I'm so in love with Avery Collins, and she doesn't even know.

----

Emily's P.O.V

It's been weeks. Avery seems okay, as okay as she can be in public at least. But I hear her crying sometimes, late at night when she thinks nobody's around. Even Brad doesn't make jokes or digs at her anymore; he's just as worried as me.

I broke it off with Noah. Well, more like he broke it off with me. Avery was right, I had to tell him about my...encounter with George. But honestly? I don't miss him. More surprisingly, it's George I find myself thinking of. I want to talk to my best friend about it, but I don't want to break her heart any more than it already is. She lost Matty, but she lost contact with George and the others as an added consequence.

She's not the same. She's moodier, always angry at the world. She rarely goes to her classes anymore, and even worse she doesn't write. I can't remember the last time she rushed into my room waving one of her stories in my face with that huge grin on her face. She's just given up. She'll still laugh occasionally, like at our weekly takeaway night with all of the flat. But once she's stopped, I can see the sparkle in her eyes disappearing just as quickly as it appeared. 

---
Avery's P.O.V

"I don't know how you can't like them!" Tessa squealed, putting on yet another of The 1975's songs. Since they began their tour, they've become huge in England, London in particular. Venues they used to play constantly brag about it, never mind the random girls who claim to have known them personally. Nobody knew them as personally as I.

"I just don't." I grimaced, rooting through my sock drawer. I found my tub of medication, and quickly slipped them into my mouth. I thought I was getting better, but my doubled dosage of anti-depressants said otherwise. 

"But what about Matty?" Tessa grinned, belly flopping onto my bed and cupping her face with her hands like a teenage girl. "Do you not find him hot?" My stomach lurched at the mention of his name, and I could feel the all familiar lump in my throat rising.

"Oh erm... meh. How about Zachary Robinson from Swim Deep? Now he's hawt." Emily quickly piped in, wiggling her eyebrows. I caught her eye and smiled, thanking her from distracting Tessa. Tessa spoke about the band non-stop, and it was exhausting. However, I kept my mouth shut about everything. I didn't have it in me to destroy her opinion of Matty, it wasn't fair.

"Really? That's...kinda gross." Tessa laughed, before making fake sick noises. "He had hair the same colour as a poptart." 

"That must be why I like him then. Puts me in the mood for a poptart." Emily grinned, pushing herself off the floor and making a b-line for the kitchen. Tessa grinned and hopped off my bed, running after her. I sighed, and sat on my bed. We'd all become really close with Tessa, me especially. I can't remember the last time she didn't come in my room to talk, gossip or just carrying various sorts of ice cream and other junk food. To me it seemed like I'd taken her under my wing - she was always asking me for advice and often seeking for my approval. I'd found out a lot about her - she was extremely trusting, maybe a bit naive at times, and she kinda reminded me of, well, me. I just didn't want to see her get hurt as badly as I did. I don't want anybody to feel how I feel.

I exited my room and closed the door behind me, making my way to join the girls in the kitchen. However, there was a big pile of letters resting on the welcome mat by our front door which caught my eye. I grunted, picking up the letters and taking them into the kitchen with me. 

"Would it kill anyone to pick up the mail?" I groaned, slapping them down on the dining table. The letter's spread out with the impact, and one fell to the floor.

"Sorry, had better things to do. " Emily said, her voice muffled by the pieces of poptart crammed into her mouth. She picked up the letter, read it, and then handed it to Tessa.

"What, like stuffing your face with pastry?" I smirked, raising a sarcastic eyebrow.

"But it's frosty strawberry goodness." She whimpered, taking another bite. Sudddenly, Tessa started screaming, making both Emily and I jump.

"Oh man, you made me drop it!" Emily whined, collapsing to her knees and nursing the broken pieces of her second poptart.

"I won! I actually won!" Tessa screamed again, jumping up and down. 

"Won what?"

"Tickets! To The 1975!" She boasted, waving them in my face. I looked down at Emily on the floor to be greeted with the exact same shocked expression on her face. 

"Oh...awesome." I squeaked as she pulled me into a bear hug.