// CHAPTER TWO //

I looked up to see a tall lanky boy with blonde hair and dark roots as he stumbled towards the table, my table, and took the seat next to me whilst repeating the word 'sorry' over and over, presumably for being late to the lesson. Mr Herbert didn't look happy, I guess he was just softer on the girls. Pervert. I could hear the guy rustling through his bag, before pulling out a singular pen and placing it in front of him on the table. The cap was chewed and twisted, and ink splodges ran up the entire plastic casing. He was clearly a tidy one I thought, before returning to the art covering my page.

"You're in my space." The guy whispered to me. He was so close I could feel his breath move stray strands of my hair, and I moved my chair slightly.

"Sorry." I whispered back, lifting my face from my notebook to look at him. His hair was slightly matted and resting over his face, and he kept blowing upwards in attempt to move it. It didn't work.

"What's your name?" he whispered again, before being shushed by the once eccentric and now very annoyed Mr Herbert. I chuckled under my breath as I watched the stranger put up his hands in innocence, and I turned the page on my notebook.

'Avery.' I wrote, before sliding the book.

'Well Avery, if you look closely you'll see the name George etched into the table just below your elbow, which proves you're sitting in my spot.' he wrote back. I lifted up my arm and held my elbow, and sure enough there was the name 'George' scatched into the table, next to a drawing of a stick man with wavy hair. I stifled a laugh as I began to write a response.

'Your self portrait looks exactly like you. Including the seaweed hair.' I slid the notebook over again, pushing a little too hard as it flew straight past him and nearly off the end of the large round table. George suddenly smacked his hand down in order to grab it and stop it falling, but not without gaining the attention of the whole class. George began to look around slightly, and his lips parted to speak.

"There was a spider." I butted in quickly, giving a small smile and a nod to the teacher who grinned once again with those damn teeth hanging over his bottom lip. 

"You can't do that, that's murder!" One of the girls opposite me spoke up, glaring at me and my new acquaintance as she twirled her frizzy blonde hair around her finger. "That was a living thing and you killed it without a thought, how could you be so juvenile? A spider is harmless an-"

"Oh shut the fuck up would you?" George sighed drastically, rubbing at his temples. The girls mouth hung wide open, shocked from being spoken to in what she probably deemed a 'juvenile' manner. I couldn't help the laugh that escaped my mouth, just before I could cover it with my hand in order to catch it. George shook his head with a slight smile, sucking in his cheek.

"Mr Daniel I will not have that sort of language in my classroom. Get out." Mr Herbert glared, screwing on the top of his marker pen. George sighed again, before picking up his bag and slinging it over his shoulder as he began to walk towards the door. The door which he'd walked through 5 minutes before being kicked out. I'm sure I heard him mutter the words "It's a fucking spider." as he slung open the door and stepped out, letting it close slowly behind him. I giggled to myself, guessing that the fact there was no spider in the first place had completely slipped his mind. I leant over the now empty chair next to me to grab my notebook, before closing it and putting it back into my bag. I looked up again to see an arm at the porthole window in the door, and then as he leant down, George's faced pressed up against it. I rolled my eyes at him, before being interrupted by the sound of the bell signalling the end of the class. I quickly gathered my stuff and glided between the scattered chairs left behind by everyone as I made my way to the door.

"Avery?" Mr Herbert called after me, his voice pulling me to a halt. I turned around and watched him as he wiped the work off the whiteboard. "I wouldn't let George get to you. He's a lost cause, you're a lot better than that." 

"Thanks?" I said unsurely, before opening the door. Just as I stepped around the corner, I saw George leaning against the wall, his head almost hitting the low hanging lights.

 -------

"May I ask what you were doing in my seat then?" George spoke up, pushing himself off the wall by his leg.

"Sitting." I shrugged.

"Oh har-har, very funny." he said, nudging me slightly.

"I've known you a grand total of 10 minutes and you're already touching me?" I raised my eyebrow with a grin as he walked next to me, his long legs taking huge strides as I struggled to keep up. "How tall are you anyway?" I said, looking up at him. My head just reached the beginning of his upperarm. 

"6'5. I know, I'm tall. It's a common topic." He smiled, ruffling his hair with his hand. "But, not such a common topic: I have a band and we need a fresh audience to see if we're you know, shit. Fancy it?"

"Why me?" I asked, pulling down at the hem of my shirt.

"Why not?" He countered, standing in front of me and making us both come to a halt. "Just come." I pondered for a moment, looking down and shuffling my feet.

"When?" I asked, finally looking up to his face.

"After my last class, 2pm. I'll meet you in the car park and I'll drive you there, I live in a flat off campus." My face dropped slightly and my mothers voice barked through my head. 'DONT GET IN THE CAR WITH STRANGERS AVERY, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO'S OUT THERE.' George obviously saw the worry on my face as he laughed lightly.

"Bring a friend if you want. The more opinions the better." he said before giving a final smile and walking off, leaving me in the corridor wondering what the hell just happened in the past 15 minutes.