// CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN //

IMPORTANT: Some of you may have noticed that the opportunity to view advertisements has been popping up in between some of my chapters. This is because I have been given the opportunity to be part of something called the Wattpad Futures Program. This means that lovely readers, such as yourself, could help me get paid for doing what I love - writing. The ads are completely optional to view, and only last around 30 seconds tops (I think, don't hold me to that.) 

I have to ask, PLEASE view the ads. It takes only a few seconds up of your time, and it helps me pay for things to do with my tuition, etc. I already work two jobs and I'm still constantly broke. It's not fun. Obviously I can't force you to watch them, and as I said, they're completely optional, but I'd be forever grateful if you did. Thank you in advance!

-L x

----

Avery's P.O.V

Tessa forgave me, finally. I had to tide her over by offering to do her laundry for the week, but we're back to how we were. I think she understands why I didn't want to talk about Matty, and why I didn't want anything to do with him anymore. I mean, obviously I'd missed out a few pieces of mine and Matty's tale; like how he seemed to constantly be high on some sort of drug, the fact that he had a secret I was still yet to uncover, and of course, the fact that my mouth had been puckered around his dick once upon a time. 

My phone buzzed and I grabbed it instantly. I smiled, looking at the sender. Adam. 

"Look outside." 

I did as instructed and looked out of the dirty old perplex shop front window. There he was, stood awkwardly with his hands in his jean pockets with a grin on his face. I laughed and beckoned him in with a wave of my hand, and he did as he was told. The ding of the bell above the door rang as he stepped inside, shutting it behind him.

"Well, this hasn't changed at all." He smirked. His cheeks were rouge from the autumn wind outside. 

"What do you expect? Doug is a creature of habit." 

"One that still brings you Mcdonalds burgers?"

"Of course. What a sad world I'd live in otherwise." I grinned at him. He smiled back at me, and we stood in silence for a couple of seconds. He looked around the place, running his fingers along the top of the record sleeves.

"I miss working here." He sighed. 

"I miss you." He turned around to face me. "But what can you do?" I shrugged. At that moment, the bell above the door rang again. From habit, my neck snapped instantly to have a look. 

"Ah, here's the man of the hour!" I said, winking at Doug as he closed the shop door. He rolled his eyes at me, and plonked down a double cheese burger on the desk I was sitting behind. I clapped giddily, muttering a 'thank you' as I tore the wrapper apart, sinking my teeth into the bun. I hadn't eaten all day... well, actually, come to think of it, for the past two days. My appetite disappeared again after I saw Matty at their gig. 

"Well, well, well. What's Mr Big-Shot doing here then?" Doug asked, folding his arms and staring intensely at Adam. I saw Adam physically swallow the lump in his throat; his cheeks going redder, though no longer from the wind. Doug looked back at me and caught my eye, and we both immediately started giggling. Adam snapped out of his awkward stance and glared at us both, his eyebrows furrowed and his mouth set into a straight line.

"Very funny." 

"You never could take a joke, lad. Lighten up will ya?" 

"Well in that case, I'm guessing you won't want these then?" Adam half smiled, the corner of his mouth giving away him serious tone as he pulled out a stack of records's from his backpack. Doug's eyes immediately widened. 

"Are those-"

"50 records, signed by all members of The 1975." Adam grinned. Doug stepped forward to take them, but Adam soon yanked them back, hiding them behind him. "You can have them, if I can steal Avery away for the rest of today."

"Deal." Doug shouted, grabbing the records out of Adam's hands. He already seemed to be drooling over how much money he was gonna make off them. "Avery, get out."

"Woah woah woah, rude." I huffed, grabbing my coat from behind my chair and folding it over my arm. "But thanks man, see you Saturday!" Doug barely muttered goodbye as Adam and I walked out of the shop and to George's car, where he was sat patiently, drumming his fingers along the steering wheel to a song I couldn't hear yet. When he looked up and caught my eye, his big dopey grin could be seen for miles. I laughed, giving him a small wave before opening the passenger side door. 

-----

I put my key in the door and turned it to the right, stepping inside my dorm with Adam and George in tow. 

"I'll stick t'kettle on." George volunteered, making a b-line for the kitchen. I nodded and muttered a thank you, before making my way to my room. I opened the door and kicked off my shoes, dumping my bag by my door. Emily now made me dump everything by my own door rather than by the dorm one, all because she tripped over a shoe and swears she broke a toe. Wimp.

"Wow, it's clean for once." Adam stood in awe, opening his arms and spinning around in the center of my room.

"Oh you're so funny. How I've missed your dwindling sarcasm and dry humour." 

"You basically just described yourself there Avery, and you know you missed me." He winked, flopping down on my bed. I laughed, before rolling my eyes dramatically. 

"You wish." I smirked, before making my way back out of the door. I thought I'd better go check on George and the tea's - he always made them too milky. As I was walking down the corridor, I heard Tessa's voice booming from behind her door. I stopped in my tracks and realised that she was talking to someone else, but their voices were too muffled. Curious, I knocked on the door and opened it, not waiting for her permission to come in.

"Wait I- Oh, hey Avery!" Tessa grinned at me, sitting cross legged on her bed. Sat opposite her was a skinny figure with a curly mess of hair. I already knew who it was before he craned his neck and peered over his shoulder at me.

"Hey Aves! Fancy seeing you here!" He smiled at me. 

"...Are you for real?" I said, gritting my teeth.

"What?" they both said in unison, before looking at each other and giggling. 

"This!" I shouted, waving my hands between the both of them. "It's clearly just a ploy to make me jealous."

"That's a bit egotistical of you, Aves."

"Avery. My name is Avery."

"Okay, Avery. If you must know when I met Tessa the other night I thought she was cool and wanted to get to know her better, that's all. Nothing to do with you." Matty half laughed, raising a cautious eyebrow at me. I scowled even further. He was making me jealous, right? This wasn't a thing. It couldn't be a thing, Tessa wouldn't do that to me after I'd explained it all-well, some. I looked closer, not moving from my place in the doorway, and I realised that Matty's hand was resting on Tessa's thigh. That's when my blood really started to boil.

"Well, that's cool then. Glad you're moving on, it means I won't have to hide my own feelings anymore." I said, my voice trailing off.

"What? For who?" Matty asked, his voice low. I honestly had no idea what I was doing, but seeing the rise I got out of Matty spurred me forward with my idiotic plan.

"My boyfriend, obviously." With that, I turned on my heel and walked out of the doorway and down the hall. I could hear footsteps behind me, and I knew I had to think of someone fast. I reached the kitchen and looked at George. He turned and smiled at me. Him? No, not him. Matty would know instantly that I was lying. 

Think Avery, think.

Suddenly, the front door opened and in stepped a figure holding a couple of tesco bags in both hands.

"Oh, hey you-" Callum began talking, but I leaped towards him and wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed my lips to his, stopping him mid sentence. He stood in shock for a few seconds, but soon enough his lips relaxed and moved in sync with mine, and he dropped the bags in his hands to wrap his arms around my waist.

"Callum? Your boyfriend is Callum?!" Matty's voice shouted from behind me, and I could hear the strain in his voice as he couldn't control his outburst. I pulled away from Callum, and quickly grabbed his hand.

"Yes, Callum is my boyfriend. Riiiiight, Callum?" I said, nudging him and plastering a huge smile across my face.

"Oh er- yeah, yeah that's right. I'm her boyfriend. She's my girlfriend. Boy-girl relationship, or girl-boy if you prefer, I mean I don't-"

"Well, that was unexpected. Anyway, kettle's boiled. Who's ready for some milky goodness?" George gleamed from the kitchen doorway, clapping his hands giddily.