// CHAPTER FIFTY SIX //

(A/N: Found the media on instagram and had a bit of a giggle. Hardcore self titled prefer-er right here. PLEASE VOTE!!)

Avery's P.O.V

"Matty...Hey." I whispered, barely able to choke the words out. I felt weak. I wanted to avoid all this; the awkwardness... the heartbreak.

"Hey." He said. He couldn't stop smiling, but I couldn't return the favour. I looked at him and all I saw was his panicked face as he launched himself off Sophie, clutching at the sheets trying to make himself decent.

"Wait.. you two KNOW each other?!" Tessa practically screamed. She'd made her way into the space between me and Matty, and kept turning to look at us both for some sort of explanation.

"Avery? Of course I know her, she's the lov-"

"Yes. He used to live around here." I interrupted him. I took my eyes off the floor and looked at him, and his mouth was still hanging open, his eyes showing how hurt he was.

"What the hell Avery!" Tessa shouted at me, folding her arms with a scowl. "Why wouldn't you even tell me? What kind of friend are you?"

"No Tessa, it's not-" I began, before she cut me off.

"Why would you even do that to me?"

"But I-" I began once again, but Tessa stormed past me, making sure to barge my shoulder as she walked.

"I'll go find her, take her back stage to meet Adam and Ross. Maybe she'll calm it down a little. Vanessa, right?" George offered.

"Tessa." I smiled back at him. He gave me a small sympathetic smile, before sharing a knowing look with Matty and jogging in the direction Tessa had stormed off in.

It was just me and Matty now. I shuffled in place with my arms crossed. I was so nervous and completely bewildered that my hands were shaking from nerves, and I was pretty sure I was on the verge of having a panic attack. My throat was closing up and my eyes were teary, and I just couldn't find the strength to look in his direction. I could feel his presence, and I know he hadn't stopped staring at me the minute I'd came into sight.

"So...how have you been?" He asked, clearing his throat.

"What?"

"I said, how have you been?" he said again. I looked up at him and he was smiling, and I could feel my chest starting to swell - but it wasn't with love.

"...Are you taking the piss?" I snapped at him, clenching my fists. He immediately looked taken aback, as lost his footing slightly.

"No? Why would I-" He began, but I held up my pointer finger to silence him. He looked at it and obliged, and my voice immediately replaced his.

"I mean, you play with my heart for months, take off on a world tour with little notice, invite me to basically the other side of the world, and then fuck the one girl that had made my trip far less than the definition of 'enjoyable'." I said to him, keeping my voice low. I could feel my blood boiling, and I knew I had to take a moment to catch my breath otherwise I was gonna explode.

"Look, I'm so-"

"I'm not finished. I then had to attempt to carry the million pieces of my broken heart back, and try to carry on my life with a huge fucking Matty-George-Adam-and-Ross shaped FUCKING hole in it, whilst hearing your names and music constantly from my band obsessed flatmate. So excuse me, if I think your question must be a joke because otherwise you really are dense, Matthew."

He stared at me in stunned silence. My chest was rising and falling rapidly, and I'd given myself a headache. However, I felt good; it was good to finally put him in his place, even though I wanted nothing more than to throw myself into his arms and ask him to never let me go again.

"...You've never called me Matthew before." He whispered. He looked at me, and I was pretty sure his eyes were glazing over with tears.

"Yeah well, things change." I spat, before turning on my heel and walking back in the direction I came.

"Aves!" He shouted after me. I instantly stopped in my tracks. His nickname for me made my heart lurch, and I could feel it breaking all over again. Swallowing the lump in my throat and fighting back the tears, I held my middle finger up over my shoulder.

"You don't get to call me that anymore." I said, before walking off with my middle finger still held high.

After peering inside a couple of doors, I finally found the room with Adam, Ross, George and Tessa inside. I cracked it open and slipped in unnoticed - George was signing something for Tessa, and Ross and Adam were in too deep of a conversation to pay attention to anything around them.

"Ham and pineapple does not go together on pizza. End of discussion." Adam shouted with a laugh, before waving his hands horizontally to signify a cut off point. I grinned and crept up behind him, before pouncing on his shoulders.

"OH HOLY HELL." He screamed, jumping out of his skin. He slid off the sofa he was sitting on slightly, and ended up in a heap on the floor. I couldn't contain myself and burst out laughing, being sure to cover my mouth and hideous teeth. Seeing my best friends together again in one small room made Matty and I's encounter slip out of my head, even if only for a few minutes.

"Avery!" He shouted, before scrambling up on his feet and taking me up in his arms. Ross scrambled over the top of the sofa also, and wrapped himself around both me and Adam. I heard a shuffling of feet, and soon enough another pair of arms belonging to George had wrapped themselves around Ross' and Adam's back. I managed to peep out over the shoulder of Adam, and saw Tessa stood awkwardly in the same position she was in when I came in.

"Come on Tessa, bring it in." I smiled at her. She smiled back and made her way over to us - Ross thankfully extended his arm and Tessa fit into it perfectly, and we stood in a huddle in the middle of this white walled room.

----
Matty's P.O.V

I trudged into the room, dragging my feet behind me. I felt like Avery had just held a shotgun to my chest and blown my heart into a million pieces - but I didn't blame her, I knew I did the same a couple of months ago. I seem to destroy everything good I come into contact with, and I just don't know why. No matter how hard I try, I know I'll never be good. I'll never be able to think of myself as a decent human being. I never have since the whole business with Phoebe. 3 years and I still couldn't wake up in the morning without seeing the pain on her face and the betrayal in her eyes. Avery made me forget about her and the whole nasty business me and the boys had left back in Manchester, but I'd managed to wreck her life too without even trying.

I sighed, and closed the door behind me by slumping against it. I looked up and saw all my best friends, the love of my life, and well... her friend, huddled in a group hug in the middle of the room. A smiled crept up my face as I spotted Avery in the center of it, her big bouncy blonde curls barely visible over the boys' shoulders.

Avery was the key to everything. She was the one who could help mend mine and the boys' friendships. She was the one who could help me get my life back on track. She was the one who could put me in my place and make me listen. And she was... well, she was the one. My one. My one and only. And I'll be damned if I'm not going to spend the rest of my miserable existence on this planet making it up to her and trying to get her to love me too.

My eyes wandered to Avery's friend, Tessa. The one with the weird plaits. I smirked to myself.

There's my way in to Avery's life again.

(A/N: ooooo, who's Phoebe? Is she part of his big secret? Hmmmmmm...)