// CHAPTER THIRTEEN //

I hesitated before knocking on the door to hell. I was mentally preparing myself for the outburst of rage I was about to encounter, but instead my knock was ignored. I opened the door gently, peeking my head inside to see Emily passed out on her bed, snoring loudly with her mouth hanging open. Thank god. I shut the door quietly, thankful that I wouldn't have to face Emily and her wrath just yet, even though I was dying to make up with my best friend. Instead I made my way to my room and locked the door behind me, ensuring that I wouldn't be interrupted by any of Brad's insane shenanigans as I began my school work. 

Firstly, I tidied my desk of stray pencils and dirty makeup wipes, and placed my small white plastic tub of meds in the top drawer - my pants drawer. I hid them in there in the small chance of anybody coming in and finding them, the idea of anybody seeing a prescription for depression under my name at the age of 18 was unnerving and frankly I wasn't ready to tell people just yet. I was scared of their judgement and queries. I sat down on my spinny chair and span round using my tiptoes as I waited for my laptop to load. Within the space of 5 minutes, I was reading George's first paragraph of our Writing assignment that he had emailed to me half an hour ago.

"Being high all the time was exhausting, but the soberity was even harder. The nausea and loss of apetite reappeared, and Melanie could physically see her bones starting to peak through underneath her snow white skin. 

Then again, weed was good. So was saying the word fuck. Fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck."

I clasped my hand around my mouth in shock of what he'd just written, before letting out a small chuckle. How on earth do I follow that? Mr Herbert was gonna be so mad, and I'm pretty sure the purpose of this piece was to anger him as much as possible. But then it hit me, why not stick with that idea? I mean, not just soley focussing on Mr Herbert, but playing on others emotions. Shock. Anger. Humour. Anything emotive, why not get creative with it, was that not the point of the class?

"But Melanie started to finally realise that drugs were not the way forward. If anything was going to re-establish her appetite in a more regular occurence, then she would have to return to her favourite pastime.

Cannibalism."

I giggled quietly to myself as I forwarded on my email, to both George and Mr Herbert and waited for a reply. Within seconds I had an email back from George with a group of laughing faces.  I smiled at my small triumph of making George laugh as I awaited another email from him, carrying on our assignment. Soon enough, I heard  the small ding noise, alerting me to a new email.

"As Melanie flicked through her high school book she realised all her potential victim's would be too tough to eat with her baby teeth, and instead made her way to the nearest 'Toys'R'Us' complex in order to prey on small babies and toddlers."

I honestly didn't see that one coming, George had such a dark humorous side to him it was almost criminal to laugh. 

"However, in a twisted turn of events Melanie was hit by an oncoming truck driver eating a Big Mac and Melanie was no more. Apart from a single finger and an armpit scattered at the side of the road."  I once again clicked the send button, making sure to include Mr Herbert in the chain. 

"The small town was saved by a tragic hero, who consequently gave up eating Big Macs and instead started an affair with ready salted Hula Hoops and a kiwi."  As soon as I read the concluding email I laughed out loud, loud enough for Brad to pester me from outside my door asking what was so funny. 

-----

"It was hilarious, I don't think I've ever enjoyed doing homework as much as I did today." I laughed as I joined Adam in filing the records. 

"And this was George?" He asked uncertainly, raising an eyebrow.

"Well I'm guessing so, it was his email?" I said, not sure of what he was getting at.

"But George has been asleep all day, when I left he was still conked out." Adam shrugged, examining an Arctic Monkeys record.

"What?" I frowned, "Well who else could it have been?" 

"I don't know, I mean Matty was on the laptop when I left but..." Adam shrugged again, before disappearing into the back room to grab more records. 

"It couldn't have been Matty, he'd only just left mine-" I said, following him in.

"Yeah, he told us about that. He was a bit pissed off when he came back for some reason but when we started teasing him he cracked a smile. Haven't seen him like that in a while." Adam grinned, raising an eyebrow at me. "But yeah, he said one of his mates gave him a lift. Think it was a blonde girl." Instantly my blood started to boil at the thought of that girl in her skimpy clothing and lipstick covered grin. Jealousy was an ugly trait, and it was one of the many things I hated about myself. 

"So basically you're saying Matty did George's assignment for him?" I said, ignoring the last piece of information Adam offered and trying to push it as far back into my mind as possible. 

"I don't know, ask him yourself. Our shift's nearly over anyway." Adam grinned, before pointing to the clock. At that precise moment, Doug bounced through the doorway holding what seemed to be a bundle of tickets in his hand.

"Adam!" He gasped, waving the tickets in the air. "I got you and your band a venue to play next sunday at The Victoria pub in town, as long as you can sell these tickets."

"No way! We've been trying there for ages!" Adam stuttered, searching for words. "Thanks so much mate!

"No worries Adam, you're part of the 'Good Vibrations' record store family now." Doug grinned.

"Yeah, you really need to think about re-naming Doug." I giggled, before grabbing my coat and following Adam out of the store front. We walked to his car, where he quickly changed out of his work top and into a plain white t-shirt before driving us to Matty's and George's apartment.