// CHAPTER SEVENTY SIX //

"Why would you do that?" I sighed, holding the foil blanket tightly around my bare shoulders. 

"...I can't take you seriously when you have two tampons shoved up your nose." Matty said, suppressing a small smile. I returned it with an icy glare. He sighed, before turning to the paramedic standing to the side of us. "Would you mind giving us a minute?"

"Sure. I'll leave my ambulance and postpone doing my job so you can kiss and make up." She replied, sarcasm almost dripping off her tongue. Matty narrowed his eyes before sitting down beside me, lowering his voice.

"It needed to be done, it wasn't fair."

"I agree, but there's a time and a place. Why would you think that was a good idea?"

"Because with a crowd of people there she wouldn't be able to deny it!"

"Oh sure, because drunk people are the best fucking mediators." I snapped, turning away from him. "This party was meant to be celebrating us, Matty."

"It's not a good party unless someone had a fight or ended up in an ambulance. We had both!" He grinned, resting his hand on my knee. Annoyed, I shook it off. 

"He could press charges against George. Hell, I could press charges!" 

"That's a bit harsh Aves, he only broke your nose." 

I instantly whirled round to look at him, my eyes narrowing as I gave him the dirtiest look I could muster. He only laughed.

"I'm kidding, but it got you to look at me, right?" He said, resting his hand on my knee once more. "I'm sorry you got caught up in it all, and trust me when I'll be seeing him next he'll get a broken nose of his own."

"Makes a change from you punching walls." I grumbled. He laughed, squeezing my leg. "Have you seen George?"

"Nah. I'll leave it to Ross and Hann, you need me more right now."

--

Adam's P.O.V

The house was eerily dark as I climbed through the window, gracefully falling flat on my face on the hardwood floor.

"Ughhhh." I grumbled, pushing myself up and finding a light switch.

"Hurry up and open the door!" Ross hissed from outside, his teeth chattering. I scowled, making my way to the front door and opening it from the inside. Ross immediately entered, closing the door behind him as he rubbed at the goosebumps appearing on his arms.

"Beer jacket's worn off." He grumbled, before making his way towards the staircase. I quickly followed, making no effort to reduce the noise of our footsteps as we clunked up the stairs. "I'll check the bedroom." I nodded into the darkness, before proceeding along the hallway and coming to a stop at a closed door. Delicately, I pushed it open.

"George?" I said, peering into the room of shadows. I flicked the light switch, and the room illuminated. There was George, sat beneath the window sill, surrounding by splintered wood and decapitated plush toys. "...Damn."

"Damn indeed," Ross said, appearing at my shoulder. He squeezed past me and circled the room. "You really went to town."

"Yup." George said nonchalantly, no emotion in his voice. Ross and I made eye contact, before I indicated with my eyes to George. He took the hint and sat down at the side of him, nudging a piece of wood out of the way.

"So uh, what was this?" I said, picking a board up and inspecting it.

"The crib." 

"Oh."

A few moments of silence passed. 

"Did it feel good?" I asked, desperate to fill it.

"Not really." He sighed, running a hand through his unkempt hair.

"Don't know if this will help, but you sent Noah to the hospital with a concussion." Ross piped in, picking up a teddy bear off the floor and examining it. "You also broke Avery's nose."

"What? No I didn't?" George said, whipping his head up and staring at Ross.

"You uh, you elbowed her. When you went to punch Noah. You really swung that arm back." I said quietly, finally putting the board down. George's eyes went wide and he quickly stood up.

"Oh fuck no, I didn't mean to!" He said, starting towards the door. Ross quickly got up but I managed to intervene, blocking his way and holding him by the shoulders. 

"She knows man, don't worry. I think we're all more worried by what's going on in there," I said, raising a finger to George's temple and delicately tapping against it. "Talk to us, George."

 A few seconds passed before George wrapped his arms around me, his shoulders shuddering as he cried.

--

Avery's P.O.V

"It's so sore." I whined, as Matty fluffed the pillows behind my head.

"It will be, it was broke." He smiled, kissing me on the forehead before climbing into bed with me.

"I really didn't think this was how my first night here would go." I sighed, staring up at the ceiling. 

"Me neither."

"Yeah well, I don't think either of us will ever know what on earth you were thinking." I snapped.

"I know, I know." He sighed, turning to face me and playing with a lock of my hair. "I'm sorry."

"It's not me you should be apologising to. Lets just hope both of our best friends will want to talk to us in the morning." I said, before turning the lamp off at the side of me.

"Me too." Matty whispered into the darkness.