// CHAPTER FORTY TWO //

As soon as the plane landed and Ethan had graciously helped me with carrying my devil bag off the plane for me, I made a b-line straight for the nearest bathroom. When travelling I never checked in luggage, as it seemed easier to just cram everything in to one small case and not have to wait around the carousel searching in panic for the big ass case you checked in. It also meant I could escape from Ethan for a little while, as I knew if Matty saw us together when I met him outside he'd have hit the fucking roof. I quickly checked myself out in the mirror - my eyeliner had smudged and my face was beginning show blotchy patches where my foundation had worn off. I reached within my handbag and pulled out the necessary makeup, and with shaking hands applied it. I was so nervous to see Matty again, and I was pretty sure I'd put on some extra weight within the time he had been gone - what if he didn't want me anymore? Maybe he didn't want me in the first place, I mean I still don't even know what we are. I put my makeup away and fixed my hair, before taking a deep breath and exiting the bathroom.

I stood in waiting area, watching as people were reunited with loved ones and the classy business women in suits were strutting out the door. I searched for the curly mass of hair I loved so dearly, but couldn't see it anywhere. I stood on my tiptoes, scouring the masses of people until I heard a familiar voice.

"Well well well, Avery Collins." I turned and smiled, although my heart dropped slightly at the sight of Adam and George. Nevertheless, I was over the moon to see two of my best friends, and looped and arm over both of their necks and pulled them into a tight hug.

"It's SO good to see you both again. Where's Matty? And Ross, of course." I asked, adding on the last part eagerly, trying to hide my interest in Matty's whereabouts. George and Adam looked at each other and smirked, obviously realising my true intentions.

"They're at an interview. You know how these things are, Dirty Hit have us working none stop. We haven't had a day off in over two weeks really."

"Oh." I couldn't help but hide the disappointment in my voice.

"Dude don't be such a bummer, we'll see Ma- I mean them, later. Until then ya got your big brothers on the case." George grinned, grabbing me in a headlock and ruffling my hair like he usually did. I screamed slightly, followed by a laugh as I stood up and looked through the messes of knots that covered my eyes.

"You mean my big brother and just-about-taller-than-me brother?" I smirked, fixing my hair and pulling the straps of my handbag tighter over my shoulder.

"Hey. Words hurt." Adam pouted, grabbing my carry on luggage and walking towards the exit.

-----

"So what's been going on then?" I asked threw mouthfuls of burger, kicking my legs whilst sat on a high stool.

"Nothing much really, just a shit load of interviews and radio performances lately really. Obviously we have that big gig coming up too." Adam replied, taking a sip from his drink. "To be honest I've been kind of missing Doug and the record shop."

"He's been asking after you, wants you to swing by whenever you're free. He says it's for publicity but I reckon he just misses you." I winked, taking another bite.

"Who misses who?" George asked, returning from the toilet and taking a seat on the stool beside me.

"Oh uh, Emily. Misses you." Adam stuttered rapidly, quickly filling the silence. I shot him a glare and he gave me a sympathetic shrug.

"Oh god, I forgot about Emily." George grimaced.

"Hm. Yeah let's not go into that." I said, my mood deteriorating at the mention of the subject. I didn't have time to talk to Emily about it properly, I just hope that she had told Noah instead of keeping it a secret.

"LOOK IT'S GEORGE AND ADAM OH MY GOD LOOK OH MY GOD!" a piercing scream echoed throughout the fast food restaurant, and my eyes widened as a group of girls came swarming towards our table.

"What the he-"

"ADAM CAN YOU SIGN MY ARM?!"

"GEORGE CAN I TOUCH YOUR HAIR"

"I LOVE YOU GUYS SO MUCH I'M YOUR BIGGEST FAN-"

"NO I'M THEIR BIGGEST FAN"

"WHAT NO I-"

"Fucking hell PIPE DOWN." I shouted in annoyance, resting my head within my palms. Our table was now silent, and I lifted my head to see around 5 pairs of teenage eyes glaring at me.

"Who the fuck are you?" One of them said, practically spitting the words. She had ginger shoulder length curls and freckles decorating her entire face, the metal of her braces glinting in the light.

"Who the fu-" I said, my face flushing red as I was about to get out of my chair and lunge and the pre-pubescent little bitch. However, a long arm kept me back in my chair and gave me a stern look.

"Sorry guys, this is Avery. She's had a long flight so she's a bit on edge, do you think we can keep our voices down a little and the swearing to a minimum?" George smiled at the young girls, who instantly returned the smile - they were like putty in his hands.

"Yes George."

"Fucking brilliant. Okay, so who wanted what signed?" For the next 20 minutes I sat in silence watching the boys talk to the youngsters and sign various pieces of paper and body parts. It was a weird thing to watch - George, who was constantly high and hitting on girls was being so nice and gentle with these kids, and even Adam who was always completely shy with girls seemed so at ease. I needed to remember that this was their life now, and if I was going to remain in it I had to adopt a similar attitude when confronted with these kind of situations.

"Hey, Avery?" I turned around at the mention of my name, seeing the ginger girl from before. She had two big black signatures in sharpie on her arm, and a big smile plastered on her face. "I just wanted to say sorry about before, I didn't realise you were their best friend, or that you were in a bad mood."

"Oh no worries, honestly I'm sorry I was being a grade A bitch, it's just hard to come to terms with all these fans the boys have now got. I just know them as my goofballs, y'know? And as for the bad mood you can blame Matty for that, I'm still waiting on him."

"What do you mean? Don't tell me you like Matty, like seriously." The girl sighed impatiently, folding her arms and cocking her head to the side.

"Yeah, don't tell her you like Matty, Aves." A raspy voice said, which instantly caught my attention. I stood up out of my seat and practically ran towards him, a little smirk fighting its way through the corner of his mouth, and looped my arms around his neck.

------

(A/N: GUESS WHO'S BACK (back, back)

BACK AGAIN (gain, gain)

AVERY'S BACK (back, back)

TELL A FRIEND.)